Earthworms for food?

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
yup and if you want to clean them out let them swim in a jar of water for a hour or so, the dirt will come out of them.
Otherwise they are messy in the tank.

Rich

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You can buy them from a bait and tackle shop,Walmart even carries them lol,or you can collect them yourself from an area you determine to be safe from any chemicals.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've found that fish love them and grow fairly quickly on them even with no pellet supplements. The only downside is that you wither have to squeeze the poodirt out of them or deal with a tremendous increase in fish poo in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If you store them in some damp newspaper or tissue for a few hours they will purge themselves of the dirt and poop.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I culture red wiggler worms (AKA composting worms), like a slightly smaller version of earthworms except much easier to culture.

I have an 18g rubbermaid bin of them in my garage and feed them fruit, veggie and paper scraps. I feed up to a couple of times per week and always have plenty for my 50+ tank fishroom.

Haven't bought live or frozen food in years.

I just collect them from the bin, rinse them in a fishnet over a small pail and feed directly.

Google red wigglers or composting worms or check Craigslist for local sources.

Matt

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I love feeding my fish earthworms . They seem to grow a lot faster and it can get quite interesting feeding them. I have a paratilapia who doesn't wait until the worm hits the water .... splashes everywhere ! Even though water changes are more often the outcome does seem a lot better in my opinion

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
They tend to accumulate pesticides and herbicides, be sure of your source don't just grab crap ones from the street after a rain.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I culture red wiggler worms (AKA composting worms), like a slightly smaller version of earthworms except much easier to culture.

I have an 18g rubbermaid bin of them in my garage and feed them fruit, veggie and paper scraps. I feed up to a couple of times per week and always have plenty for my 50+ tank fishroom.

Haven't bought live or frozen food in years.

I just collect them from the bin, rinse them in a fishnet over a small pail and feed directly.

Google red wigglers or composting worms or check Craigslist for local sources.

Matt
I've always wanted to try setting up something like that but haven't gotten around to it.
They tend to accumulate pesticides and herbicides, be sure of your source don't just grab crap ones from the street after a rain.
Haha never thought of them that way...good tip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store