Prazipro

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Does it treat internal and external parasite equally or is it mainly used for external ? Is it really bio filter friendly? Is it very effective for external parasites ?

Wanted other members opinions before dosing not just what i read off the net. In had a fish with suspected externals parasites (fish was removed) but I want to treat the tank as a precaution

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,that's what it claims anyway.I use it to condition my feeders when I have them.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
thanks guys can it be used with heat and salt ? also how long should i treat for ?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
PraziPro is probably one of the most misused & misunderstood medications on the market.

PraziPro is an is an anthelmintic cestodicide which is basically only effective at treating tapeworms, flatworms, & flukes. It contains <5% praziquantel by weight, and is designed specifically to be used as a dewormer, not to treat internal parasites such as flagellates etc, and for external parasites it's only effective against flukes.

For nuking external parasites copper (such as CopperSafe) is far more effective as a shotgun approach, and is safe for most fish when dealing with higher pH values. (above pH 7) There are other options as well, but that's been my go to for external parasites for many years.

Reactions: fishrangler

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Sorry about the hijack! I'm suddenly rethinking my quarantine med regimen. Rd, what anti parasite med would you recommend to clean the guts of new fish?

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I personally don't advise feeding store bought feeders, better to raise your own under clean, healthy conditions. Having said that if I had to pick a method to clean the guts of fish, I would probably try this out. New Life Hex-Shield.

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17144&cat=0&page=1

It contains Metronidazole, Magnesium Sulphate, Garlic, and some various flavor enhancers & immune stimulents.

If you want to hit them with a broad spectrum "nuke everything" approach there are various meds out there that will work, but one is essentially soaking their pet fishes food in a toxic soup. Unless one wears gloves, and is careful, they are also exposing themselves to these toxins.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Does it treat internal and external parasite equally or is it mainly used for external ? Is it really bio filter friendly? Is it very effective for external parasites ?

Wanted other members opinions before dosing not just what i read off the net. In had a fish with suspected externals parasites (fish was removed) but I want to treat the tank as a precaution

I typically throw this in my qt for wild specimens, just because its safe(from my experience) and never affected my bb

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's certainly not a bad idea to deworm any incoming fish (wild, or not), but deworming alone doesn't clear new fish from other potential internal or external pathogens.

In had a fish with suspected externals parasites (fish was removed) but I want to treat the tank as a precaution
In this case I believe the OP suspects a fish that came in with external parasites, in which case Prazioro will have zero effect on, unless it's a case of flukes.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Rd what do you recommend using that would cause me to lose my cycle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store