How often do you clean your mechanical filter media ?

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I have read some members here that they clean their filters like every 6 months or so, aint that too long as your not removing the waste from the system. I clean mine twice a month or if I am bored once a week. Wondering if I am overdoing it ?

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
It all depends on the type and number of filters you have, and the bioload they are dealing with. If you have a heavily stocked tank full of messy eaters you'll need to clean the filters more than someone who has a tank with only one or two moderately sized to the tank fish.

The canister on my 180g I clean every 4-8 weeks when I notice the flow has dropped. The AC 50 and AC 110 filters on my 20, 40 & 125 gallon tanks need to be cleaned every 2 weeks or the flow drops dramatically. The filter socks in the sump for my 300 need to be changed every 3-4 days and the filter pad about every 2 weeks.

as long as you don't kill off the bacteria in the bio media you should be fine with your current cleaning schedule

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Depends on the filter itself. Mechanical filtration in wet/dry or sump filters should get serviced every week or two. I tend to slack with my canisters and address them 3-4x a year.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
HOB's ---- 1x a week
Canisters ---- some at 1x a month, bigger FX6's 1x per 4 months.
Wet 'n Dry --- rinse the pads 1x a week.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I try to clean my mechanical filtration weekly. Most of mine is either trays of fluff on "dump" filters or air-driven box filters, which just take a few moments to change.

I run the air high on my box filters (so that they have high flow/suck in more physical waste) and low on my sponges (so that they don't suck in as much physical waste). I squeeze out my sponges every few weeks.

I have one remaining FX-5 in the fishroom and I probably clean it every 2-3 weeks (rinse waste out of the sponges). It should be done more, but canisters are a PITA to clean (which is why I've stopped using them). One strategy to reduce the amount of mechanical waste that gets sucked into canisters is to use pre-filters. They can clog and reduce flow, especially if not frequently cleaned, though.

The stuff that gets collected in mechanical filtration (waste, uneaten food, mulm, dead fish parts, etc.) breaks down to produce ammonia (among other things). Removing frequently reduces the amount of waste that gets broken down into nitrate and the effectiveness of your water changes.

The type of filter shouldn't matter. Just because waste is rotting inside of a plastic cylinder and is out of sight doesn't mean that it's any less toxic than if it was coating the bottom of your tank (or your sump or whatever). In fact, canisters with bio media caked in physical waste will be much less effective in bio filtration (as flow and surface area are negatively impacted).

Clean the mechanical media in your filters frequently. You'll see a big difference in the health of your fish.

Matt

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Canisters, every 2-3 months and I just splash the media with tank water. Rinse the actual canister with hot water because I got some unwanted snail eggs :/
Sump- never

#IluvK1media

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Socks in sumps when they overflow. Some cannisters monthly others never as they are only bio. I drain them monthly. All are Eheim 2262.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store