Amazon biotype ideas

mattmez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Coal City IL
Well like I said in a previous post I have a 75gal 48x18x21 I was wondering what could I do for a amazonian bio type I see all the ones in the internet that have all the life plants and driftwood. Well i do not really want to do all that I am more of a fake plant guy and artificial drift wood do you guys know what brands or like a driftwood that you don't have to boil it and soak it for weeks that I can get and any arificial plants that are amazonian themed.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Go with the real stuff as far as the wood in concerned at least.

I totally understand the idea of easier and less costly maintenance with fake plants myself but I have yet to see a piece of fake drift wood (that wasn't diy) that looked good.

Cleaning isn't difficult and it's easy to find exactly what you want online if you dont want to go out and collect it yourself.

Good sources for faux plants are Michael's and Hobby Lobby (just avoid the ones with metal wires in them). There are also a few you can find on the shelf at a lfs as well as eBay that look pretty good like mentioned above.

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Go with the real stuff as far as the wood in concerned at least.

I totally understand the idea of easier and less costly maintenance with fake plants myself but I have yet to see a piece of fake drift wood (that wasn't diy) that looked good.

Cleaning isn't difficult and it's easy to find exactly what you want online if you dont want to go out and collect it yourself.

Good sources for faux plants are Michael's and Hobby Lobby (just avoid the ones with metal wires in them). There are also a few you can find on the shelf at a lfs as well as eBay that look pretty good like mentioned above.
Agree 100%. Craft store for faux plants. Go with real driftwood. Free if you take a walk by a stream river or lake. I have never had issues with this and I have driftwood in all of my tanks.

Also go with fine gravel or sand as a substrate. It looks amazing with some light dappling over the surface. I'll throw some pics up in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Real driftwood with artificial plants work well for me. Here's a picture of one of my Amazon biotope tanks. The plants are from the Dollar store.
IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store