Red Tail Catfish Tankmates

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I have a 14 inch red tail catfish and I would like to know if it could live together with my 10 inch lima shovel nose and my 9 inch rhino pleco, in a 300 gallon tub. Also I am wondering if I could put them in with a 4 inch sturgeon catfish and/or a 5 inch vulture catfish.

Currently the rtc is in a 50 breeder with the rhino pleco. The lima shovel nose is in a 75 gallon tub with two 2 inch bushy nose plecos, two 2 inch common plecos and five 1.5 inch mollies. [the 2 2inch bushy nose plecos, 2 2inch common plecos and 5 i.5 inch mollies will not go in the 300 gallon tub]

Could the rtc, Lima shovel nose, rhino pleco, live together as adults in a bigger tank possibly with a vulture catfish and/or a sturgeon catfish?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.:D:D

Thanks,
Aaron

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Eventually those tank mates will be eaten. Sooner and not later. What is the dimension of the tub? You will probably be looking for a new setup for the rtc within 2 years if not sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Thank you for the quick reply... it has a 6 foot diameter and 24" deep.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Thank you for the quick reply... it has a 6 foot diameter and 24" deep.
I see, circular tubs will last longer. My comment on tank mate stands though. I won't trust any long skinny fish with an rtc.

Disclosure: I had a rtc about 15 years ago. Had to have him up around your size. Won't have one again unless I win the lottery ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Thanks!!!

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
RTC will eat smaller fish, guaranteed. Anything that can fit in its mouth. I lost a ckf, 2 silver aro, and a heater suction cup to my RTC/TSN hybrid that just died.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Is it bad that the rtc is so fat he is on his side and he is shedding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store