Dead RTC/TSN :(

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
So yesterday my cat was swimming at the top a lot. It wasnt acting weird other than that, except it didn't eat when I fed the tank. Usually it's the first one to devour everything. Woke up this morning to it lying on driftwood, mouth wide open and dead. Very sad had this guy since it was an inch. Filled the test tubs with water but didn't have time to run the tests (will do after work Is that ok?) And have pictures to post. Any ideas Why it died ?

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 40-80 ppm (it red)

last water change was 75% 3 days ago.

heres the pics

CAM00451.jpg

CAM00452.jpg

CAM00453.jpg

CAM00454.jpg

CAM00455.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd not rely on the tests of a day old tank water. It ages and the results won't be right.

At the face value, the nitrates are too high, which you know anyway. Not mortally high.

The fish's exterior looks ~ symptomless to me. It being at the top and dying with the mouth wide open tells me it most likely suffocated. The reasons could be insufficient DO, gill parasites, or a swift bacterial or viral infection. It happens. Happened to a few of my RTCs 1'-2'.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IDK but I'd observe closely. In my case with the RTC's, only they were dying and none others in a large community in a 4000 gal pond. I am rather sure mine was a bacterial/viral case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store