Best alternative filter option

KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
Hi guys

I have a 100 gallon tank with 5 goldfish in it with 2 small peacock bass in it.

I'm using a whisper 60 filter,the one with 2 pads.

I saw a video on YouTube from the King of DIY on overhead sump and also a model of a sump from some bauribob on YouTube which I like and have the space for.

I also have golden pothos in my tanks for taking nitrate down and excess nutrition in my tank.

I was was wondering which one of the 2 options(overhead sump or sump) would be better for me??

I personally like the overhead sump cause its easier for me to clean and control and also easier to maintain my pothos with lighting etc.

What should I do??

Open for any suggestions.

Sent from my LT18i using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Both are ok. Both has advantages and disadvantages

You could use a smaller pump and save power using the overhead sump as the head, height of which the pump has to move water against gravity would be lower.

Smaller sump on top and bigger sump on the bottom

Depends on how tall you are, I am 5'4" and need a small stool to get to the media to clean it. Under the tank sub, you would need to bend (age is an issue :) ) to get to the media

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Unless those fish are really small (each under 3"), you are way under filter. Goldfish are waste factories and pbass are fairly messy themselves. You may be getting by for now due to the large volume of water, but ultimately as those fish grows and the waste increase, those fish will start dropping starting with those pbass. Those Whisper HOB doesn't provide adequate bio media, they are more for mechanical filtration. I suggest adding something like an AquaClear 110 to your set-up (along with the Whisper) and adding ceramic rings to the AC110 to provide more bio media to yield a higher beneficial bacteria population to breakdown the waste.

Of course, if you're doing a sump then you should be all set. Not clear on what you mean by "overhead sump" "sump".
Do you mean a sump above the tank as the "overhead sump", and a under the tank sump as "sump"?

KingofAliens

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Suriname,Paramaribo
So I moved the fgoldfish from the tank.

It now only has my 2 pbass and a pike cichlid.

I'm was revering to overhead sump to sump on top of the tank.

I heard that way I could use a smaller pump.

The sump(underneath) is also a good option but the space I have available is not so big to put a sump with more "rooms".

So it would be a mall sump with some pothos in it and some tetras orso.

Someone else aslo told me that the whisper is way way less filtration and that I should switch to cannister filter or sump.

Maybe you guys can provide mr with a sketch of a sump model.

Tank on.

Sent from my LT18i using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store