Breeding feeders

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
What if you could choose one would be best fish to breed as feeders?

Convict
Rosie reds
Guppies
Gold fish

I know there is somewhat of size difference but let's just keep it down to overall nutrition and ease of breeding

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Guppies. Id actually go for mollies or swordtails because they are a big bigger but I havent seen anyone breed goldfish for feeders (though its obviously done comercially) so im not sure the scale you would need. Convicts are a decent choice but often times those tough lil buggers end up surviving and not being food. Big tub loaded with floating plants and guppy grass and a decent number of livebearers and im sure you would have a sustainable treat for some time. Worms and inverts are also popular live foods easily bred at home.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Mollies are so easy even I'm doing it LOL

Rich

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I was curious about breeding comets and after doing some hw it is definitely doable but you would need quite a setup it sounds. Each female lays several thousands eggs at a time so you would need atleast a place for a spawning group of foot long comets and room to grow out thousands of fry. Think livebearers are still the way to go wether guppies swordtails mollies gambusa whatever they all multiply rapidly without insane spikes in numbers

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Jags, they make a swarm of fry,s every 5 to 6 weeks , have a grow tank and cull to the Oscars tank.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
they fat free protean snacks. good for any cichlid. gut load them first if you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store