How to keep Catlocarpio Siamensis-Giant Carp?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Does anyone have any experience keeping these monsters?
Please share tank size, growth rate, water parameter, tank mates, and feeding. I know they get big in the wild but I'm more interested in home aquaria.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Please share tank size, growth rate, water parameter, tank mates, and feeding. I know they get big in the wild but I'm more interested in home aquaria.
I have a 6"-7" carp in a 155 gallon with a goliath tigerfish, Korean perch, 2 hampala barbs and a putitora. I haven't tested my waters in a long time so I have no info on water parameters but everyone is doing great. I purchased mine around 4" and it was already hardy in my opinion. Took one week to get onto sinking carnivore pellets. It's grown about 3" and it's been around 5 months.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1411077247.875965.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1411077267.243483.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Just got a shoal of them. About 1.5"-2". They are all hiding....I think. Might have gotten eaten. Haven't seen them eat so was wondering what people feed small carps.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Yeah, I hear they are eating machines but at 1.5" I'm observing them to be filter feeders. They tend to swim against the current and with their mouth opening and closing. It has only been a week. Hopefully, they will have the courage to compete for pellet bits.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
years ago I got 5 from wes about your size. I started in a 40g with hob filter. I would crush flake food, micro pellets and black worm in the current of the hob. after a week of that, they were hooked. eventually fed them huge cut shrimp and salmon pellets. growth was crazy. I think it was the salmon pellets. temp was 75 I think. lost power in the summer, at a higher temp and lost the last 4. all 18" +. damn. warm water, no h2o. they are great fish. a bit spastic and very very strong. have fun, id remove all objects in the tank if you can. those bulgy eyes can get popped real easy

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
years ago I got 5 from wes about your size. I started in a 40g with hob filter. I would crush flake food, micro pellets and black worm in the current of the hob. after a week of that, they were hooked. eventually fed them huge cut shrimp and salmon pellets. growth was crazy. I think it was the salmon pellets. temp was 75 I think. lost power in the summer, at a higher temp and lost the last 4. all 18" +. damn. warm water, no h2o. they are great fish. a bit spastic and very very strong. have fun, id remove all objects in the tank if you can. those bulgy eyes can get popped real easy
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to remove all the other fishes cause these little guys can't compete against the bigger fishes. All I have is driftwood. Do you think I should take them out?.
I saw your photo thread of your carp and pbass....haha.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Wow, I didn't realize these fish are critically endangered. How do fish like this get into the aquarium trade if they are critically endangered? Any pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store