how to Clear snails off new plants?

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
I just bought 4 bunches of anacharis for my 180g tank to help control algae etc... Having live plants is new to me. And noticed snails on these plants when I brought them home (bought at petsmart) I do not want to introduce these snails to my tank so I have them in a 5g bucket right now... Question is, how do I make sure these are all cleaned of snails before I enter them to my tank?... Should I use a aq salt dip? Alum? Bleach? Any help/advise is greatly appreciated!

right now i have them sitting in an alum dip (2 tbls per gallon)

any help is appreciated, thx

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Mollies chichlids they eat snails so do bichirs.

I can't keep snails if I wanted to. my fish eat them.
Even the big mystery snails get their antennas off then any fleshy part out of the shell.
Rich

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Insanity: to repeat the same action and expect different results

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...s-from-anacharis-plants&highlight=snail+plant

never heard of alum but if thats what you are set on using why post multiple threads asking what worked for others?

because i value different opinions/idea before entering these plants into my tank , since ive never dealt with/had live plants, there also seems to be more traffic in the General form for more suggestions (experience) - , just looking for ideas :)

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Dude...don't do it. Just don't. You got the plants to help with another problem (algae bloom), now you're trying to decide what chemical to put on the plants to kill snails, so HOPEFULLY the plants will help with the algae bloom. Sounds like to me you're gonna end up introducing a NEW problem into your tank (either snails or a toxic chemical) and without solving the original problem. You were advised, very wisely, in another thread to be patient, wait and see, let the algae bloom run its course. If it doesn't, address that problem first before introducing a new problem.

I read some very profound advice one time about fish tanks--"nothing good happens fast in an aquarium". Have some patience.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Dude...don't do it. Just don't. You got the plants to help with another problem (algae bloom), now you're trying to decide what chemical to put on the plants to kill snails, so HOPEFULLY the plants will help with the algae bloom. Sounds like to me you're gonna end up introducing a NEW problem into your tank (either snails or a toxic chemical) and without solving the original problem. You were advised, very wisely, in another thread to be patient, wait and see, let the algae bloom run its course. If it doesn't, address that problem first before introducing a new problem.

I read some very profound advice one time about fish tanks--"nothing good happens fast in an aquarium". Have some patience.
That's probably the best fishkeeping quote I have ever heard lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store