Wooo, scored a nice 30 gallon full setup last night

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So as I do every night before heading to bed I check this forum, and PlantedTank.net forums just to see if something peeks my interest; Well on PlantedTank.net in the Colorado section someone posted an FYI about someone on Craigslist giving away their 65 gallon, and 30 gallon full setups because they're moving out of state on Monday. So I checked CL, found the posting, and called the number... Lady answered and I first asked about the 65 gallon setup, she said her friend is coming to pick it up but the 30 gallon setup is still available. So I made my way down to their house, all the way thinking it'll be some crappy setup, well to my surprise it was a good looking setup.

Here's everything that came with the setup...

Wooden stand
Matching wooden canopy
2 HOB filters
200w submersible heater
36" T8 single bulb light strip
48" T8 double bulb light strip
6 extra T8 bulbs
4 Neon Tetras
2 Giant Danio

So the fish are in my 45 gallon tank for right now, the tank/stand/canopy/msc. stuff is still in my Durango because I plan to put the tank in my bedroom, but need to clean out some stuff to make room for this new tank!!!!!! I haven't decided which way to go with tank, right now I'm thinking I'll probably make it an Amazon Biotope just like my 45 gallon tank, but the 30 gallon tank will be a low light setup with anubias, and java fern plants with a couple dwarf cichlids like Powder Blue Rams, some Otocinclus algae eaters, a small school of Neon Tetras, and some Amano shrimp.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So tomorrow I can start bringing in everything, and getting it situated!!! I also ordered a few sword plants ranging from big to small in size, they should be here either tomorrow or Tuesday!!! Also I've been giving it some thought, I might tear down my 45 gallon planted tank, and transfer everything into the 30 gallon tank. Or, I can at least take some of the floramax out of my 45 gallon tank, and use it in my 30 gallon with some of plants as well, then when the swords come in most of the will go into the 45 gallon with just a couple going into the 30 gallon tank.

I've got loads of driftwood, branches, rocks, and plays and I can use when scaping the 30 gallon, so I'm not too worried about needing things for this tank since it was a full setup when I picked it up. Can't wait to get started on this tank!!!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Tomorrow I plan to get my freaking camera back!!! But I'm going to pick up a bag of Floramax for the tank since I am going to be putting a few plants in the tank, but the only substrate that'll be seen will be sand. I'm waiting for the Indian Almond Leaves to arrive from Thailand, hopefully they come in soon!!!! I will post pictures of the 30 gallon tank tomorrow!!!!!!

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Kudos on the great setup. Really nice find. Looking forward to watching your progress

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Thanks!!! So I just ordered 300 alder cones for $9.50 off ebay because the time frame for the indian almond leaves varies from the 15th to Oct. 25th, and the alder cones are from a guy in Minnesota so it's a 2-4 day time frame for getting them. Plus they do the exact same as indian almond leaves, which is help to lower PH, adds the blackwater look to the tank, and help shrimp so I figure I'll give them a try. The swords I ordered came in today, one is 10", one is 6", one is 5", and 3 are 3.5" tall!!! So I'll use them along the back of the tank so when they all fill in, the entire back of the tank will be hidden... Then the big cryptocoryne wendtii green from my 45 gallon tank, I separated it into 6 different plants; So I'll use them in this tank, and they should fill in nicely under a piece of driftwood, there's like 5"-6" of space under the main driftwood piece which is where I'll plant them.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up a new 15lb bag of FloraMax substrate for the tank, I also have a 50lb bag of play sand from HomeDepot sitting in my truck for the tank, and then next month I'll be ordering the glass canopy top for the tank. The reason I use the glass tops on my tanks is because when I had my old 75 gallon planted tank, it was an open top tank, and I was replacing fish every 2-3 weeks because of jumpers lol. So now I use the glass canopy tops on all of my tanks so no jumpers trying make a jump to freedom ;)
Plus it lowers the amount of water loss from evaporation!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Well I went and picked up a bag of FloraMax black, filled in the area where I'll be planting the tank, and the capped everything with play sand. So the tank is ready to go tomorrow, I just need to remove the SunSun 302 canister filter from my 45 gallon tank where it's been running since I got it to build up beneficial bacteria, and move it to the 30 gallon tank. Tomorrow I'll be adding the plants from my 45 gallon to this tank!!!!

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Go on..:popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store