What to do with the tanks I just got?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just got home from the GPASI fall auction and along with a breeding group of Paleatus Corys I took home two tanks :). I got a 5.5 gallon for $10 and a 10 gallon for $6. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the 5.5 for fry and I'm going to stock the 10 gallon soon. I'm looking to get some ideas from you guys what to put in the 10 gallon (20"x10"x12"). I'd prefer to breed something in it and even more specifically something I can breed in it that can live with it's fry in the same tank. Some ideas I had were:

• Pretty much any livebearer that can live for life in a tank that size (Guppies, Platies, Gambusia, small oddball livebearers)
  • Pygmy Sunfish (Elessoma sps.)
  • Bantam Sunfish
  • Corydoras pygmeaus
  • Any other small Cory species
  • Killifish
  • Possibly something else

What do you guys think?

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
see my thread in the breeding. I'm doing mollies for the gar.

Rich

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Kribensis.. relatively hard water and a cave and you will drown in fry. Good food for your natives.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Kribensis.. relatively hard water and a cave and you will drown in fry. Good food for your natives.
I'm looking more for fish I can breed for some money :). As of now I don't have many natives that are big enough to eat other fish.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Should get about 30 fry per spawning, sell them for half a buck a piece.. that's $15 easily earned :)

And if you don't have natives that can eat fish.. get some! :D

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Should get about 30 fry per spawning, sell them for half a buck a piece.. that's $15 easily earned :)

And if you don't have natives that can eat fish.. get some! :D
Ill consider then :). Lol, I just meant my natives can't eat fish YET, I'm growing up some yellow perch, Creek Chubs, A Green Sunfish, and a Yellow Bullhead that I'm sure will love to eat fish once they get big enough. To they care for their fry? I'm a fan of cichlids that are good parents, just didn't have good experience keeping a cutteri pair with my catfish.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
They care for their fry very well, they breed in caves and the male will defend the entrance while the female is inside looking after them.
Feeding those perch live fish will be majorly cool to see :D

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Are there any species of Auchenipterids I could breed in this size tank? Almost won a breeding group of T. intermedia yesterday but then some other people jumped into the auction and they eventually went for $54 which was way out of my limit for 5 wood cats. I don't think intermedia can go in a 10 for life but I've never kept wood cats so what do you guys think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store