Copper Waterlines and Stingrays

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Anyone with stingrays have copper waterlines in their home? I found this interesting video of how to make your own heat exchanger using copper. I was thinking of running a loop off my hot water tank with a inline pump to preheat my drip water coming into the tank. Not sure if there are any long term effects of using copper for water supply lines for rays. All my Waterlines in my house are Pex but do have brass fittings.

I can't drip a mix of hot and cold as we have a water softener and my wife isn't willing to part with the soft water.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKrPT0_vSug

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Don't believe copper pipes are an issue. Very interesting concept. Might be a good way to heat large tanks. You could loop your hot water tank through the sheathe portion of this and have your aquarium water split off from a pump and circulated through the center portion. Wonder how well that would work. Ive been looking at my options for heating my soon to be 10x4x4 build and it looks like the expense of heating this size tank is inevitable. Be curious to try this! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I have copper lines. In the U.K for sure i think every fish keeper has copper lines running the water in their homes. I have no issues but run a drip through HMA filters. But before installing a drip i used to age water in a butt before water changes.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
My water comes from copper lines.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
City water running through copper lines don't usually present enough copper in the water to have a negative impact on elsamobranchs.
That being said, a section of copper/brass constantly exposed to tank water will leach into your water. As long as it was a quick pass for incoming water only it would be ok. I've seen people run an actual hot water line through a coil that sits in the tank - and that will lead to issues.
For heat exchange units that are going to be contacting tank water all the time, titanium or stainless steel is usually a better option.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
The heat exchanger would be ised for fresh water dripping into the tank to preheat the water cutting down on electricity. I'm thinking of using a solenoid for the fresh water line and a recirculation pump off the hot water tank for the recirc line both on a timer for water changes instead of the constant drip. I didn't think copper would be an issue, but thought I'd double check. Thanks everyone for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store