Eheim 2229 is leaking.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I have an Eheim 2229 that is leaking from the bottom air canister device.
Its been running perfect for many years and I just noticed it.
I tried to take the whole thing apart but it is leaking.
What are my options?

I was thinking of possible silicone the whole thing completely or maybe taking that air canister off and plugging it all up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

I've never had that model. But in general, I'd say try new o-rings lubed with silicone oil. Any cracks in the container itself, if try to order a replacement part if not cost prohibitive.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I have that model and it's possible that you are missing, damaged or mislocated one of the two o-rings that seal the bottom section of the floater compartment to the canister body. You can buy the o-ring replacement kit (#7444210), it contains 5 o-rings for the entire floater compartment.

I've had problems with this filter before after maintenance and have had to take it apart up to 4X after cleaning in order to get it to operate properly, usually because of those darn o-rings! I use either regular Vaseline, Lifegard silicone o-ring lube (slippery) or plumbers o-ring lube (very tacky) to help keep the o-rings in place during reassembly.

I would not use silicone sealant to fix the problem because it doesn't adhere well to the plastics used in the construction of the pieces.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
NICE!!!!!
Saved me bro I was getting ready to silicone. I will order those parts now. Any suggestions to keep all my substrate healthy? Should i throw it in my big sump or can i just leave it in canister with top off and rinse every day?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If you have room in the sump, just place the trays in there as is after lightly rinsing them of any accumulated crud, if any. If the trays don't fit, I would dump them all in a mesh laundry bag or similar netted container that will permit water circulation through the media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store