Questions on filtration for 180g tank and more..

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
Hey everyone,

So this is going to be my first large aquarium and I haven't done any fish keeping since I was younger so I am hoping to get some advice on what I need to buy. I already have my stand/canopy, tank (standard 180) and glass tops here, and I have a light fixture on order. I am trying to figure out everything else I am going to need to get up and running and minimize the amount of orders I have to place. At this point I am likely going with a Lake Malawi Cichlid tank.

I had my mind set on getting two Fluval FX6's for filtration, but the price is a bit steep at $340 each. Would I be ok with one FX6 and one SunSun HW-304b or should I just suck it up and spend the money for the second FX6? I suppose I could even do the one FX6 and two 304b's and still save over $170ish but I am trying to keep it at two filters. Wish I hadn't missed the lighting deal on Amazon for the FX6s a few days back.

The next question is what media to use inside the filters and how much of it do I need to order? I have been reading about Seachem Purigen/Matrix, and lots of other stuff but I don't really know what I should use, or how much of it and what to put in what tray so any advice would be very helpful as I fumble my way through this. I am trying to read as much as I can in my spare time.

So far on the list to order is:

API Master test kit
Aqueon water changer
Seachem Safe
(2) Aqueon 300 watt heaters
150lbs of sand and ammonia from ACE hardware for fishless cycle

Is there any other chemicals, or medications etc. that I should buy or keep on hand if needed? :feedback:

Thanks!
Frank

Reactions: Davidiator

bigpac

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
phx, az
Honestly for the 180 you'd be ok with 2 sun sun filters I run 2- 304b ' s and a cascade 1500 on my 200 and keeps water nice and clear with an a big over stock pbass tank so personally I'd go with three at most for chiclids u'd be ok with 2 and I use ceramic rings on the bottom tray charcoal on the second tray corse pad in 3rd and polish pad in 4th tray hope this helps sum

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
Thanks for the input bigpac. I certainly wouldn't mind the cost savings by just going with the two sun sun's. I might even do just that. I could always add an FX6 later if I really needed to.

allathlete5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
Southern California
I run two sunsuns on my VERY overstocked 100 gallon african tank... I think two sunsuns would definitely suffice. Water is polished and parameters are great! Honestly, one sunsun would work on my tank though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store