New to the forum but not to the hobby. Planning a 300g.

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
I have been in the hobby for years. I have both saltwater tanks and freshwater tanks. I just sold my 125, and plan on ordering a 300 in the coming months. I have been looking for a new house and plan on moving in March, so I am trying to get some ideas for a 300 gallon in wall tank I plan on setting up.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My dream is a 210g in the basement built into a wall with a bar in front. The Tank would be high up so it can be viewed from the bar stools with a 2 tiers of liquor bottles on display 6 ft long on glass cinder blocks illuminated by leds.

Stocked with north American natives. Mostly pumpkinseeds

I dunno that's just whats in my head

:edit: behind the false wall I would have 2 giant industrial totes plumbed together the 200g wire framed HDPE type if they fit downstairs. . For my sump. Also running a drip system into an aging barrel. Maybe a dehumidifier mounted up high with a drain into the sump that has a uv sterilizer inline or something. That is if the water is actually ok for the fish.

Also some closed loop or under substrate jets to help cut back ln maintenance.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MarieKaF7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
United Kingdom
That sounds amazing. I am new to the hobby, only a year in but totally addicted. I have to say though, how practical would that kind of tank be in terms of keeping it clean? I also wonder how it would be possible to keep it stunning - is it just something you have to invest a lot of time in?

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
My dream is a 210g in the basement built into a wall with a bar in front. The Tank would be high up so it can be viewed from the bar stools with a 2 tiers of liquor bottles on display 6 ft long on glass cinder blocks illuminated by leds.

Stocked with north American natives. Mostly pumpkinseeds

I dunno that's just whats in my head

:edit: behind the false wall I would have 2 giant industrial totes plumbed together the 200g wire framed HDPE type if they fit downstairs. . For my sump. Also running a drip system into an aging barrel. Maybe a dehumidifier mounted up high with a drain into the sump that has a uv sterilizer inline or something. That is if the water is actually ok for the fish.

Also some closed loop or under substrate jets to help cut back ln maintenance.

I am def building it into the wall. I have considered the bar idea also. I just purchased a new Waterboss 900 Softner, Iron Filter, and a morton whole house filter unit. I figure I could plumb everything in this room and use it as my furnace/storage room. I have been looking at a few different companies for my tank. I would like a 300, but could consider larger if the area allows for it.

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
That sounds amazing. I am new to the hobby, only a year in but totally addicted. I have to say though, how practical would that kind of tank be in terms of keeping it clean? I also wonder how it would be possible to keep it stunning - is it just something you have to invest a lot of time in?
When I had my 125, I really never cleaned my glass, it just never got dirty. I did water changes and watched what I fed everyone. Yes its a large tank and will take some time, but I have spent more money buying a tank then buying another, then another. I figure this time I will be in my home for the next 5 years or more and why not go with a huge tank. I plan on using two fx6s. I haven't decided if I want a drilled tank or not. If I do, I think I will be looking for something around 125-180 gallons for a sump.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I cant completely speak from experience since my largest is a 75g, with a 90g in the basement waiting to replace it once I finish the sump and plumbing

I haven't cleaned my glass on the 75g in 3 years aside from windex on the exterior.

Ive found that larger tanks are much easier to keep. Water parameters and temp are more stable.

I have a 30 foot sink operated water changer. It doesnt take much longer to change 50% in the 75 than it does on one of my few 40b tanks.

Mechanical filtration is key. The biggest component to success in a large filtration system is the cost and ease of maintenance. If its cheap and easy to clean then your more likely to do it. Changing floss or poly pads in a trickle tower is less painless than throwing away proprietary filter pads inside a sealed canister or something of the like.

On large systems usually over 100g drip systems are widely used. The sump has an overflow similar to the display tank. It runs outside (if your upstairs) or to a sewer drain (if your in the basement). There is typically a small 1/4" or so hose that runs off the house's cold water pipe to a drip regulator which drips 1-4 gallons per hour of fresh water into the tank. The excess overflows and drains out the sump. Big tanks are stable enough that there normally arent complications of dripping small amounts of cold untreated water into the system. This eliminates water changes almost entirely.

My plan is to incorporate a very high flow rate in the tank w/ excellent circulation. The waste particles will stay suspended and make their way into an economical, accessible, mechanical filtration area where I can simply remove waste. Nitrates will go right down the drain as the water is continually changed even while I sleep.

Finatic

Feeder Fish
Dec 22, 2013
Shenandoah
Sounds very cool. I am building mine into the wall. My tank is 60x31x30. It is going to have 15" side exposure so you can still get those amazing side views. I will build the canopy straight from the ceiling using greenboard, to about an inch below the top edge of the tank. The base of the tank will be wrapped in engineered stacked stone. The room behind is a utility room so all my gear will be easily accessible. I have an open ceiling in the utility room so water will be piped straight into my ageing barrel with float switch solenoid shut off. As soon as I get to my 5 posts I will post some pics of my progress so far.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
That sounds cool. I love open tanks. Side views are nice.

At my old apartment I had a densely planted 40b on a stand the size of a large coffee table. We had 4 fullsize couches surrounding it in the living room. I made an acrylic overhead "sump" (36x8x8) that was on a minimalist brushed aluminum framework over the tank. It was completely viewable 360* there were some issues to overcome aquascaping and with the equipment. It was my favorite setup thus far. Now all of my tanks are basically front panel only the way I have them set up.

That seems like an excellent way to incorporate a tank into the wall. Ive never thought of that.

SuperDave

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
C.A
Hello and welcome, good luck with your new adventures :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store