Polygem #1618 Clear Epoxy

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Anybody have experience using this epoxy?

Does it have a glossy finish or a matte finish?

Any experience and feedback is greatly appreciated.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Call Polygem up and ask. I haven't had opportunity to use it yet, but figure since my backgrounds and pipes will be submerged, it won't matter if it's glossy or not.

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
I've tried emailing them, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

The epoxy will be going on a diy tree stump, and I'm not sure if a glossy finish will show up under water.

I'll try to call them today if my schedule permits.

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
I called Polygem. The Clear Epoxy dries with a high gloss finish.
Thank you, pacu mom. That means I'll need to add some fine sand during the application process.

I'm not sure if the high gloss will show up under water, but adding the epoxy is the last step and can also make or break the project all together. Shiny wood just isn't that appealing ;)

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Thanks for your help, pacu mom.

This diy project has provided some valuable lessons on sculpting décor for aquariums. Getting a matte finish epoxy doesn't seem to be possible. Manipulating the final application looks like its the only way.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I think it would just look wet.
I would think that would be a problem. things under water don't look wet the same way things out of the water. there's no shiny to under water wetness.
I'm looking at several types of wood and several types of rocks in my tank, and there isn't one bit of shine on any of them.

Thanks for your help, pacu mom.

This diy project has provided some valuable lessons on sculpting décor for aquariums. Getting a matte finish epoxy doesn't seem to be possible. Manipulating the final application looks like its the only way.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Business-Industrial-/12576/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=matte+epoxy

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The reason for using the clear epoxy is to seal in any coloring that was done. My backgrounds will be painted with acrylic paints so I need
the clear epoxy to water proof everything.

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Yes, I need to seal this tree trunk. Everything used is aquarium safe, but the acrylic paint will dissolve once submerged.

DSC_1174.JPG

DSC_1174.JPG

Reactions: MRE
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store