Teeth in my black sand

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
I had been thinking the white specks in my black sand were scale from my holding tubs. The other day I sorted out a few of the specks and they look like teeth that have been shed. Does any one have a easy method of sorting them out ? They are about the same grain size as the sand.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
They look like teeth to me and one of my ray books says they shed them. Very small but visible in the black sand. It took an hour to fill a small vial 1/4" deep with them.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Wow! never knew that. Guess they won't do any harm though. I would not want the task of trying to pick them out of the sand!!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Are they possibly broken up barbs? They usually wear away when left in the tank for a while or a long time. Could look like teeth. Just thinking what else it might be.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
I do find ray's teeth as well in my tank. My tanks are all bare bottom and I find them here and there. All have same consistency as far as size and color. It puzzled me for the longest time, until I saw one of my ray's mouth up close.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
FW ray teeth look similar to these (this is an Atlantic ray). They are VERY small/fine and yes you can find them if you look through the substrate. As for pulling them out of the sand, tweezers are your best bet. It's not a fun project.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Wow this is a new one for me to we learn something new everyday

It's probably true but we don't spot them on natural coloured sand but they would stand out more on black sand

Could this be another reason as to why not to keep rays in bare tanks as they wouldn't grind them down as often as they would sifting throw sand

Makes me wonder if the black sand was so sharp it was grinding down the teeth to fast that's why you are seeing bigger chunks of teeth or is my substrate built up with loads of tooth dust

Interesting topic

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Interesting. I have a bare bottom tank painted black. I see these white things from time to time. I thought it was the tiny spikes on their tail getting old and falling off. I'll pay closer attention next time I see them and scoop some out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store