Filters not trapping debris?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Hi, on my 65 gallon, I'm using an emperor 400 and an API Filstar XP L canister. (I use aquaclear sponges and fluval ceramic rings for the emperor and eheim cermatic balls and rings in the Filstar, my carbon is a month old in my API) My emperor is not properly trapping debris and my water is getting clouded. As with the Filstar, it's not trapping smaller particles well and the outake is blasting out these little particles. I need help please? My tank is like f**king Silent Hill and I'm worried that it might affect my fish. Thanks everyone!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
How often are you cleaning the sponges?
And sounds like you only have biomedia in the canister, biomedia isn't for trapping particulate, biomedia is there to handle the invisible stuff (neither is carbon for that matter).
And in actuality its the invisible stuff that can harm your fish, not particulate.
Think about the Mississippi, its brown, yet full of fish.
To trap particulate you need mechanical media, such as floss, or those floss-like cartridges and then regularly clean them out to remove buildup.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What kinds of fish do you have in the sixty five?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
buy some white polyester felt, cut to size - leave room for overflow, if the felt becomes blocked you don't want an overflow - and put it before the sponges in the emperor.
you can put it between the split plastic holder, but I use just one side to keep it and my sponge in place.
DSCN6141.JPG
mine is doubled up, it overflows the first and then the second.

DSCN6141.JPG

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Growing out some cichlids. 3 geos altifrons, Paratheraps Breidohri, Firemouth, Green Terror, 2 Blue Acaras and a Chocolate cichlid (All temporary guests while I set up a plan for a larger 150-200 gallon tank)

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Nevermind, gave I cleaned out the sponges with some tank water and my tank got alot cleaner!:headbang2Thanks duanes!

Truetommy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mass
Do you use the cartridges bought at the store? or do you put your own media in the emperor 400?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store