Bacterial infection, stringy fungus..

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I've been struggeling with this for like 6 months.. Just keeps on coming back.. Tried myxazin and a crapload of salt and it seems to kill or halt it depending on fish sp.. It got to my big ngt first, he died at a friends petstore last week after being treated with most meds.. I've seen ans treated some nasty stuff before and my friend is very knowledgable.. Now i do 90% wc's and but it still grows.. I've bathed them in salt until the brink of death and treated the ntt separately but i seemingly cant freaking kill it..

It starts out as a white dot, not unlike ich with a string in it (fungal?) and spreads in pale patches until the fungus explodes, eats away the flesh on the dorsal fin not unlike fin rot..

It seems to prefer dats and lates but spreads to other spiecies but seems to unable to really stick to other fish than perch..

I have pretty big rays and no second tank big enough to hold them and not many are willing to take them in since i seem to carry the black f'n plague.. What further annoys me is the fact that my friend dropped of a bd ray just 2 weeks ago as it was being battered pretty badly by her other male and it healed up like a champ.. That means my water is good enough to let a badly beaten ray heal but still contains some ancient evil..

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
image.jpg

image.jpg

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
image.jpg

This is how it starts, the little white dot..

Btw..

500g
Big trickle filter with a pond pump pressing 11 000 litres and and a smaller trickle for mech (4000litre pump) and another 4000litre cirkulation pump so enough filtration and an ok sized tank..

image.jpg

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
Oh, malnutrition could absolutely play a part.. Those worst of is the ntt and another nile perch.. They only eat shrimp and so did the ngt..

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
image.jpg

"Bonus pic"

image.jpg

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I really call all old friends here this time..

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That looks horrible,reminds me of the stuff that would happen to a few NTT that I've had in the past.Sorry I can't advise since I have no idea what the ailment is.
If you feel that malnutrition is the culprit then I suggest soaking the shrimp in Vitachem and or stuffing them with pellets.It might be a little tedious and messy but it's worth the hassle.Good luck.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
That looks horrible,reminds me of the stuff that would happen to a few NTT that I've had in the past.Sorry I can't advise since I have no idea what the ailment is.
If you feel that malnutrition is the culprit then I suggest soaking the shrimp in Vitachem and or stuffing them with pellets.It might be a little tedious and messy but it's worth the hassle.Good luck.
I usually do that but the fish usually accept pellets before this point..

It's quite a scary situation.. Potentially i might be facing an empty tank..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store