Hi I'm new here :)

MarieKaF7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I've been keeping freshwater tropical fish for just over a year now, recently upgraded to a bigger tank as my first one was tiny. I have danios, platys, guppies, mollies, corys, tetras and an absolutely beloved catfish. They're all still very young as as they grow I may upgrade to an even bigger tank. I've recently acquired a pair of tiger barbs from a friend of a friend and I am looking for some advice, as it has not gone well!
I would really appreciate some help! Thanks!

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Welcome to MFK! Definitely do as much reading on older posts as there is a TON of info already on here. If you can't find what you're looking for ask away. Let's see some pics of your new tank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MarieKaF7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi, well I have wanted tiger barbs from some time but I know it's not advised to keep them with guppies. However, my friend of a friend was desperate to find a home for her 2 tiger barbs (again, I know they should be kept in larger groups) and as she assured me they were very docile, I decided to take a chance. Anyway I put them into my tank yesterday (110litres, all other fish except for my catfish relatively small - although my catfish is still very young and tiny) and initially they seemed fine, one was a little more bold than the other but kept to themselves mostly. The tank I took them from was only 60 litres and they shared it with some really big fish, so I think they appreciated the space. Anyway, I turned the light off before going to bed, and half an hour later decided to take a quick peek. They had taken advantage of the darkness to attack my guppies! Poor little things had had their tails really nipped, luckily I checked or I think I would have woken today to dead guppies.
My first tank is only 21 litres, obviously far too small for the barbs but I felt on the short term I would put them in there whilst I decide what to do (possibly move the guppies into the little tank and keep the barbs in the big tank - either that or take the barbs to my LFS). Well the tank was running for a year and although it had been turned off for a week or so, the filter media is still established so I took a chance and put them in. I know it's not ideal, and the water was probably initially a little cold, but they are still with me and having tested the water today, all levels have come back perfect. However, both of them are staying very close to the bottom of the tank, mostly staying very still and twitching their fins. They did eat a little food this morning, but I'm concerned their gills look a little swollen (though I've only had them since yesterday afternoon so don't really know what their norm is).
Is it possible that they are just miserable being in such a small tank and physically they are okay? Or is it likely there is a bigger issue here? I work full time so couldn't really take them to my LFS until the weekend, and I am also cautious about putting my guppies into the small tank as I know they struggle in less-established tanks.
SORRY this is so long! I just want to be thorough!

MarieKaF7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
United Kingdom
Oh! New update - I have just dimmed the fish tank light (not off altogether as I would like to be able to monitor them) and they have both immediately become more active - any theories?

Silverwanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2014
Savannah Ga
Could be just stressed from the move could you put up pictures? tiger barbs are just bully's and Territorial coming into a new tank they are prob trying to just clam some territory.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MarieKaF7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
United Kingdom
Yes I think you may be right - 3 tanks in 12 hours was probably very overwhelming and having a bright light and nowhere to hide can't have helped. I have darkened it and put in some shelter (admittedly it is not quite season - appropriate) - I didn't want to crowd them by filling the tank with ornaments but they seem more comfortable here. Here are some pics of the barbs and one of my main tank, I'll add some close ups of my fish to my profile if I ever work out how! In terms of it being about establishing themselves in the tank - do you think its possible that they will calm down and leave the guppies alone? Or just end up killing them? When I first started I made the mistake of overcrowding my little tank and one of my guppies got his entire tail bitten off in one night by a danio, and I couldn't save him. I've got very attached to my guppies and I think even though the tiger barbs are more challenging/rewarding I'd rather keep my little guppies. But I am undecided yet whether I'd put my guppies in the little one - they love it in the big one! Thanks for getting back to me by the way :)DSC_1905.JPGDSC_1909.JPGDSC_1911.JPGDSC_1912.JPG

DSC_1905.JPG

DSC_1909.JPG

DSC_1911.JPG

DSC_1912.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store