Cichlids with Tropical Fish

Should I try to mix these Fish

• Total voters

Truetommy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mass
I'm thinking of starting a cichlid tank, but i also want to through some semi aggressive fish in with them. I would probably end up putting in some fresh water sharks and possibly some larger clown leaches. What do you think about mixing tropicals with cichlids? Does anyone have any suggestions or mixed tanks that worked for them? If I do mix fish I would probably mix them as juveniles so they all grow at the same rate so there are not any fish that are too small that might get picked on or even eaten. Please tell me what you think.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cichlids are tropical fish and there are quite a few of them lol.Some of them do well in community tanks and some don't,which ones are you considering?

Truetommy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mass
Haha woops, I meant like less aggressive tropical fish like more peaceful community fish. I'm considering some African cichlids such as a red zebra cichlid, a demasoni cichlid, and maybe a peacock cichlid.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
I don't see an issue with mixing those fish with african cichlids, lots of people have fresh water "sharks" and clown loaches with africans and they work well together. Although demasoni are a bit too aggressive to keep with peacocks or with others unless u have an only demasoni tank with a large number of them u might get away with keeping a single female but I wouldn't risk it. U could get yellow labs or acei instead if u want to add peacocks and haps in the mix

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store