Is he gonna pop!!!!

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Man alive.
I dumped 12 minniws in with my gar and he ate 3 of them in under 2 minutes.
Now it's not like I starve him I've been feeding him mollies.
I put about 6 in a week and he still has two in there. While I was piking one of the kids up I stopped by the bait shop and picked up a dozen minnows since I had the cooler with me.
Like I said he ate 3 in under two minutes.
And has 5 1 inch WC minnows and 2 mollies in there.
Did he do this because of abundance or was he really that hungry?
And is that even safe to eat that much?

Rich

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Opportunistic is all. Watch out about live foods. Infections and parasites will be introduced without you knowing. The fun to watch live fish feeding always have a cost. Whether sooner or later.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
It's safe. I have feed all of my gars as much as they can possibly consume. They stop when they're full, the pretty much double if not triple in diameter.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Opportunistic is all. Watch out about live foods. Infections and parasites will be introduced without you knowing. The fun to watch live fish feeding always have a cost. Whether sooner or later.
I'm always keeping that in the back of my mind.
I'm not to worried about it though these are wild caught fish and if you have ever been to Fla and seen a canal or pier you'd be wondering how anything could live in that contaminated filth.

The minnows I buy are from that famous breeding place out mid west ( so the owner says) that has the disease free pledge. Anderson minnows if I remember. been buying them there off and on for years. The one guy even asked where I had been over the winter (tanks were all tore down to remodel the house)
And the WC minnows come from a lake I fish that doesn't allow motors and is tested bue to the swimming area. ( state park)

So yes, like I said I keep it in the back of my head about contamination.
I have went out of my way to reduce it as much as possible until I can get him on tilapia ( I'm trying )
Also see my "breeding Mollies " thread in the breeding sub forum about that venture , an the hassle I went through with petsmart on the mollie purchase.

Rich

PS: I've always had fish that eat fish, reptiles that eat mice. I'm pretty good/careful about the live food stuff.
Not that it can't happen I'm just as careful as I can be.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm with you in the fact that I never had a fish squire parasites because of live food. Even in my largemouth bass days when I had 13 small 3-5" juvies in a 120 gallon feeding 50+ minnows a day when the temps were up high. I always know there's a risk but I feel it's not as high as most say

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I think minnow are much safer than goldfish. Goldfish are filthy

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
Its amazing how much gar can and will eat particularly if you have YOY ones... I always grew out my gar with unlimited live food the first and near the second year. Also gave it to our adults as a treat. Many pets we own are put on a routine deworming schedule... With live fed fish I have done this as well and seen no negative effects from praziproing every 4-6monthes apart of routine maintence. Atm the longest living fish i do this with is our aba aba knife who turns 4 iir this coming winter. But i did this routine for our floridas, longnose, cuban, and tropicals when we had them... Never lost a gar to health related issues with feeding ( 1 juvi broke its back, one jumped, lost our cuban to a filtration problem). Gar can be med sensitive so a good preventative routine goes a long way to long term health imo.

growth rates and health issues are nill... My gar all grew at or near wild rates according to info from sol, and richard. I also found around the 1 yr mark they started taking pellets ect without any need to fast or otherwise compromise their health.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I had a bunch of Xingu pikes that got worms through feeder. Not digestive tract infection. The worms were in the muscles and even behind the eyes. Made huge knots on them. Terrible. Just a warning. I realize it doesn't happen much. Just saying.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store