Scared of acrylic...

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
So I planning out a large tank build for my new house. I have been looking for something around 300 gallons. Now should I go with glass or acrylic? I know glass is crazy heavy, but I am worried about scratches. I cannot deal with scratches in my tanks. I am to the point where I will not purchase a used tank even. I know that is crazy, but it just bugs me. Who has acrylic tanks? Am I the only one that feels like this? I am looking at ordering from fishtanksdirect.com or glasscages.com. Is acrylic really the way to go? Thanks!

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
Thank you! I searched a few times trying to find a post, must of missed it.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Acrylic tanks look so much clearer but scratch very easily. I have modified my algae magnets with soft pads and have no substrate and the fish still manage to scratch up the inside. I only wipe the outside down with novus cleaner and 100% cotton t-shirts as well. I think it's a tough debate but for me the only thing glass has going for it, is the fact that it's more scratch resistant

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
After just selling my 350 gallon acrylic, I'll never go back to acrylic. The scratches just would drive me nuts and if you are like me and notice them...take my word on it and just don't do it. Will save you money in the long....trust me.

Sent from my XT1031 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this way. Does anyone know of any good companies out there that sell 300 gallon glass tanks. I know of glasscages.com. I live around 1.5hr from Chicago.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Guys it's so easy to remove the acrylic scratches. I use a mighty magnet cleaner, remove the algae cleaner pad, insert the acrylic scratch remover pads and in 10-30 minutes with 3 varied grit pads, scratches are gone and i don't even remove the water. Exterior scratches are easier to remove.

If you scratch glass it's there forever, plus it is heavy and can crack or shatter. I know of a 20" RTC that moved and spit a 1.5" River Rock and shattered a 300 gallon glass tank. Yes my buddy uses ponds and acrylic tanks only now.

Cost is the biggest drawback to acrylic to me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'd look for used first you can find some steals if you're patient and inspect before you buy

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this way. Does anyone know of any good companies out there that sell 300 gallon glass tanks. I know of glasscages.com. I live around 1.5hr from Chicago.
Marineland makes 300g and 265g tanks most any lfs can get

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store