Please Help, sick gulper catfish

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Hi guys, I am very worried
It looks like the slime coat on my gulper cat is almost sheading off. He's breathing very heavy and is swimming a little wobbly
I'll be shipping this fish all the way to Wisconsin and I dont want to send him to his new owner if he is sick
I did handle him with my hands to move him from one tank to another (He's in my fish room so the tank I moved him into was only about 4 feet away so he wasnt in my hands for long). Is it possible that I damaged his slime coat? How do I fix it?
Also, the white stuff is sand, I know it looks like ich but on close inspection its actually sand
Thanks
I posted pics and circled the areas where it is worst
Gulper disease 2.JPGGulper disease.JPG

Gulper disease 2.JPG

Gulper disease.JPG

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Is he sharing a tank with anyone? My old rainbow shark would eat slime coat off my raph so I separated them and he was fine. I doubt handling him would hurt his slime coat, when I got my bullhead I held him tightly in my hands and took a hook out of his mouth before putting him in a bucket and he took no injuries other than having a red mark on his lip for about 2 weeks.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
No, he's in a tank by himself
thanks

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
They are all good, I did a water change right when I saw this so it might've been a little funky before

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Water permaters need to be reported in numbers, Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph. Hardness wouls also be helpful. Some meds are better than others in different perameters. To just say good is no help at all when trying to determine which med would be best suted for this situation.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Ok, amonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 10 ppm, and ph is at 7
thanks

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Do you feed him live? Is there a chance he got a bad goldfish?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I did feed him a few home bred endlers a few days ago but they are all healthy and they where bred and raised by me. Would that do it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store