Substrate question

12Inch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
United States
Have you trued looking around for the Cemex stuff? I find it all over the place here in AZ. Find a landscaping rock supply and ask them.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no, you will have a red bare bottom tank.

12Inch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
United States
Oh and I forgot ... Petsmart actually carries a substrate used for live plants that might come close to what youre looking for ;)

th.jpg

th.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
edit

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
i have done this with my small tanks and they look crisp and clean compared to having garnet on the tank. the only issue i had is I didn't prep the tank base properly and the paint is cracking. I painted the outside bottom with "indian maroon" that looks similar to garnet shade.

it's more natural looking to have substrate on the though and I prefer to have garnet on my display tank.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
i have done this with my small tanks and they look crisp and clean compared to having garnet on the tank. the only issue i had is I didn't prep the tank base properly and the paint is cracking. I painted the outside bottom with "indian maroon" that looks similar to garnet shade.

it's more natural looking to have substrate on the though and I prefer to have garnet on my display tank.
So it does work well like garnet does tho ? I can always cover it with garnet later hen I find some

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Estes makes a product called permacolor quartz, its silica sand for pool filters. Grain size is fine, medium and trowel. Here's their standard color chart which includes a few shades of red.

http://www.permacolorquartz.com/files/PermaColor_Standard_Chart_web.bmp

I'm not sure what size tank its for, they come in 50 lb bags for $22-24 per bag. You can contact the company directly and ask for a local distributer to save on shipping. Hope this helps

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store