265 gallon Geophagus altifrons tank

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
Just picked up a 265 (84"x24"x30"). In addition to a large school of altifrons, what else would you guys recommend? I was thinking a few larger South American cichlids. Some clown loaches and a royal Pleco.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Probably to aggressive as a pair... may get away with an individual but there temperament varies by fish. I kept a mated pair of uaru with my breeding group of alts no problem, conversely my Parrot lives with a bonded pair of festae and some rays... much more aggressive then alts.

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
Probably to aggressive as a pair... may get away with an individual but there temperament varies by fish. I kept a mated pair of uaru with my breeding group of alts no problem, conversely my Parrot lives with a bonded pair of festae and some rays... much more aggressive then alts.
Good to know. Thanks for the suggestion.

blksubykid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2010
Los Angeles
Got a group of 7 Abalios with 4 Uarus and some angel fish. Relatively peaceful tank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
If you don't go with Silver Dollars, a large school of larger bodied tetras would look really good in there. BA tetras, Diamond or Red & Blue Colombians. Serpaes or Lemons would look really good too if you wanted to add color. Serpaes can be nippy, but youre ok if you get a large enough school.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
A single psittacus would do well in that tank. The larger geos (altifrons, winemilleri, etc.) seem to handle the bullish behavior of the psittacus pretty well.

Uaru are another good option, and are probably gentle enough as pairs that your altifrons wouldn't mind them too much.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
If you don't go with Silver Dollars, a large school of larger bodied tetras would look really good in there. BA tetras, Diamond or Red & Blue Colombians. Serpaes or Lemons would look really good too if you wanted to add color. Serpaes can be nippy, but youre ok if you get a large enough school.
I keep sepaes and HY511 with my S. deamon. Love em. I did keep large altifrons with black neons once. Looked great but all the neon kept disappearing. A little to "bite size" I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store