Ghost Shrimp

LancasterK26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Auburn, WA
:help2:

I'm new at breeding ghost shrimps. I was told to turn off my filter when the shrimp release their fry, and to do water changes daily until the fry are bigger. The reason, I was told, was because if I don't turn off the filter, the fry will be sucked to their doom. Is this correct? I really don't like how the water is looking, even with the water changes. I've been doing them religiously, but there is this film on the top of my water. It almost looks like... I don't know. Like how a little oil looks in water when the sun is shining on it. Should I be concerned? Am I overreacting?

The tank is 2.5 gallons with a Whisper Micro Filter.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, as I am a complete newbie.

Thank you.

:feedback:

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
you don't need to shut off the filter, just keep the shrimp form getting into it. put something fine over the intake. you'll need to clean it more often, but it will keep the fry shrimp from entering.
or switch to a sponge filter.

LancasterK26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Auburn, WA
you don't need to shut off the filter, just keep the shrimp form getting into it. put something fine over the intake. you'll need to clean it more often, but it will keep the fry shrimp from entering.
or switch to a sponge filter.
Thank you. That's what I ended up doing. I put a very fine mesh over the filter and turned it back on. Then the damn thing broke. So I went out and got a sponge filter. Much easier to deal with. But by this time, the fry had already died. So, I have feeder/breeder guppies in there for right now. But I'll be getting more shrimp soon enough. Maybe it will be a success next time round.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sponge filters are excellent for breeding shrimp and they house many microorganisms and crud shrimp feed on especially when young. Ive had better success breeding ghost shrimp inbetween sponge baffles in a sump than in a nano tank with hob filter.

Soothing Shrimp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2014
IL
Also, know that ghost shrimp is a catch all term. People use it for see through shrimp. Some have to have larval stages completed in saltwater to survive.

You can use a stainless Steel filter, and a presponge is also good. Guppies are great fro eating shrimp though. Little bags of protein.

Soothing Shrimp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2014
IL
Sponge filters are excellent for breeding shrimp and they house many microorganisms and crud shrimp feed on especially when young. Ive had better success breeding ghost shrimp inbetween sponge baffles in a sump than in a nano tank with hob filter.
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store