Tank size for these potential pairs?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So I am moving several states away in a couple months and am selling off most of my stock except for a few fish I just can't bare to part with. Anyways, the move is going to leave me with a few empty tanks once I get everything set back up. I am looking for some advice on what the minimum tank size is for the species on my wish list based on the numbers I wish to keep them in (listed to the right of each species name). Please tell me if the numbers I wish to keep them in is a bad idea.

Guianacara (6-8)
Aequidens michaeli (2)
Andinoacara latifrons (2)
Aequidens patricki (2)
Aequidens metae (2)
Aequidens 'Jenaro Herrera' (2) already have
Andinoacara rivulatus (2) already have
Andinoacara stalsbergi (2)
Hericthys bocourti (1-2)
Hericthys pearsei (1)
Hericthys labridens "Media Luna" (2)
Cryptoheros nanoluteus (2-4)
Cryptoheros myrnae (2-4)
Thorichthys maculipinnis "ellioti" (2-4)
Thorichthys aureus (2-4)
Thorichthys helleri (2-4)

I know some of these are really rare and there might not be much info on them, but I appreciate any info you guys can share with me on conspecific/breeding aggression (if a pair would normally need to be divided or not) and recommended group size (solo, pair, and/or large group).

The tanks I will have available soon after my move will be a 125, a 75, two 55s and four 20 longs. I have a pair of Andinoacara rivulatus 'white saums' (6" male & 5" female) and a couple unsexed Aequidens 'Jenaro Herrera' (largest is 4" smallest is 2.5") that will need to take up two of these tanks. I would like to know what tanks sizes are best for them and if either pair is recommended for the 125, what are some potential tankmates for them.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have a spawning group of 6 adult Guianacara in in a 75 gal at the moment, and they do well.
The pearsei and bocourti get massive 16"+ and almost as tall, I had to move large pairs to a 300 gal stock tank, as they easily outgrew my 150 gal.
Though the labridens group don't get massive, they are extremely aggressive, and require lots of space.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I'm thinking minimum of 75gal for a good chunk of that list, if you want to keep spawning females alive. 55 is ok for the crypts & maybe some of the thoricthys(but 75 would give you a better shot). Saums & the labs in a 125 and you still might lose the female lab. 180 as a minimum for adult pearsei & bocourti - these are not just long fish, but chunky as hell. You're looking at a lot of waste.

I've been thinking of a smaller CA tank recently. 75gal with a few thoricthys - havent decided which yet, I saw some F1 on Aquabid with just a collection point that looked really nice, mainly blue fish. I think it was sp. Mexico if I remember correctly - a few HRPs and some Buenos Aires tetras or CA livebearers. Sounds like an active community to me & one that you don't see often...

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Treat the A. latifrons like you would A. pulcher as they're very similar. A single pair would probably do alright in a 75 if they're large, or a 40 breeder if they're a small pair. Males can get pretty large and chunky but they will spawn small/young, so you may start out smaller and upgrade them as they grow. I like a 40 breeder over a 55 here because of the width -- a 13" wide tank is a bit tight for cichlids that grow 6"+, at least when spawning is involved. I've tried 55s with smaller severum and geo pairs and they still made the tanks look small with their constant chasing/bickering. :( Also, a 40 breeder is actually 48 gallons, so it's only about 7 gallons less than a 55 gallon.

I'd stick with minimum 75 gallons for the Aequidens you have listed because of the potential size of the male fish and also the fact that a lot of Aequidens are notorious for butchering their mates in close quarters.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I have a spawning group of 6 adult Guianacara in in a 75 gal at the moment, and they do well.
The pearsei and bocourti get massive 16"+ and almost as tall, I had to move large pairs to a 300 gal stock tank, as they easily outgrew my 150 gal.
Though the labridens group don't get massive, they are extremely aggressive, and require lots of space.

I had thought that bocourti only hit 12-14". Could a single bocourti live in the 125 with the rivulatus pair?

If that won't work, then I plan to turn the 125 into a Guianacara tank with 8-10 Guianacara, 6 wild angels, some cories and some tetras.

I'm thinking minimum of 75gal for a good chunk of that list, if you want to keep spawning females alive. 55 is ok for the crypts & maybe some of the thoricthys(but 75 would give you a better shot). Saums & the labs in a 125 and you still might lose the female lab. 180 as a minimum for adult pearsei & bocourti - these are not just long fish, but chunky as hell. You're looking at a lot of waste.

I've been thinking of a smaller CA tank recently. 75gal with a few thoricthys - havent decided which yet, I saw some F1 on Aquabid with just a collection point that looked really nice, mainly blue fish. I think it was sp. Mexico if I remember correctly - a few HRPs and some Buenos Aires tetras or CA livebearers. Sounds like an active community to me & one that you don't see often...
Is the extra 6" of width that important for pairs that don't get larger than 6-8"? I always thought that tank length was far more important than width.

I really like the myrnae and nanoluteus, and I hear they are the two most peaceful of the Cryptoheros genus.

Treat the A. latifrons like you would A. pulcher as they're very similar. A single pair would probably do alright in a 75 if they're large, or a 40 breeder if they're a small pair. Males can get pretty large and chunky but they will spawn small/young, so you may start out smaller and upgrade them as they grow. I like a 40 breeder over a 55 here because of the width -- a 13" wide tank is a bit tight for cichlids that grow 6"+, at least when spawning is involved. I've tried 55s with smaller severum and geo pairs and they still made the tanks look small with their constant chasing/bickering. :( Also, a 40 breeder is actually 48 gallons, so it's only about 7 gallons less than a 55 gallon.

I'd stick with minimum 75 gallons for the Aequidens you have listed because of the potential size of the male fish and also the fact that a lot of Aequidens are notorious for butchering their mates in close quarters.
That is surprising to hear that the Aequidens are that rough. I hadn't thought they were very conspecifically aggressive at all. I have heard some people on here say their adult metae were a little rough with one another, but nothing more than some chasing and the occasional frayed fin, which is usually cured with the addition of more hiding spots and sight breaks. My Aequidens 'Henaro Herrera' are still small, but they seem to get along pretty well. The big one only chases the small one a bit during feeding time.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
55gal tanks suck. The 12in width make it a bad idea for anything over 6in IMO. 8in fish in a 12in wide tank gives you 4in to maneuver, any other fish/plants/decor in that tank reduces your space even more. The only thing I use 55gals for is growout, 12in width is just not adequate for territorial CAs & SAs.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
55gal tanks suck. The 12in width make it a bad idea for anything over 6in IMO. 8in fish in a 12in wide tank gives you 4in to maneuver, any other fish/plants/decor in that tank reduces your space even more. The only thing I use 55gals for is growout, 12in width is just not adequate for territorial CAs & SAs.
Would the extra 6" of a 40 gallon breeder be worth the loss of the extra 1' in length then? Or is it even better to get a 6' tank and let two pairs of similar aggression levels take over opposing sides?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree about the 55, although I use 55s as grow out tanks, usually until cichlids get to about 4", then move to a larger tank. My personal rule is 10 gallons per inch of fish, although for fish larger than 12", I try to double to 20 gals per inch, because of the extra girth and height.
I wouldn't keep anything larger than a 5.5" adult in a 55gal, and even then, if it the cichlids were a pair, I'd have a divider formed and at the ready.
I think a 40 breeder would be perfect for a nanoluteus pair, or trio, with some dithers.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I agree about the 55, although I use 55s as grow out tanks, usually until cichlids get to about 4", then move to a larger tank. My personal rule is 10 gallons per inch of fish, although for fish larger than 12", I try to double to 20 gals per inch, because of the extra girth and height.
I wouldn't keep anything larger than a 5.5" adult in a 55gal, and even then, if it the cichlids were a pair, I'd have a divider formed and at the ready.
I think a 40 breeder would be perfect for a nanoluteus pair, or trio, with some dithers.
That works because my local Lowes sells thick sheets (0.22") of 18"x24" acrylic that cuts down into two nice 55 gallon dividers. I already have two dividers for 55s made (one currently in use with my 'white saum') and one ready for the 75 as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store