Proper Size For Ray Tank

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Would 16" be too short for a ray tank? My current tank is 30" tall, but have long considered something with a bigger footprint. Not sure if 16" tall would be too shallow for them. Especially if I want some mating to occur. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I would have thought that is a little too short but who knows for sure. I ordered my tank to be 24" tall. After about a year of having it i measured it for some reason can't remember why. It is actually 24" from top to bottom but by the time you take into account double thickness of base and top braces i only have about 22" of water. I am hopeful at least one of my females is gravid so they can breed in 22" but 16" maybe a litle too far.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I have about 20-21" of water in my tank. The few times I've seen rays breed in it, they have actually mated on or near the bottom. Chasing prior to mating is all through the water column. 16" may work, but a bit taller may be better.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
A children's pool shouldn't be a long term solution to keeping rays it should be a temporary thing it's a bit ghetto if you ask me

They maybe able to breed in 16" of water is it idea no
Will you get water all over your floor when they breed probably
My rays like going up to a return pipe and push water out of the tank I would hate to see the mess if they could cover the whole return pipe when they still have most of the body on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store