Dovii Care?

robham7770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2014
mobile
I never really intended to keep one, but this guy was a drop off at my lfs. He was probably 8-9" and $50. I had just killed an entire tank of Salvini fry by letting the water run, and run, and run.... in a 55, so I had an open tank. Any way I walked away and went to my car, somehow I ended up back in the store with a really big plastic bag in my hand. Now Morgoth is in a 125 solo, but he is a little energetic, and always has some type of scrape on his head.Most of the threads about these fish are about the new ones, or the dead ones. I would love some input on what to do with mine, other than change the water and feed it. I know it needs a bigger tank, but that will take some time, right now he is about 11 to 11.5'.
Here is the video.

[video=youtube;3BlET1-8Gws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BlET1-8Gws[/video]

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
nice dovii , theres nothing really to it, no tank mates unless its a female it will get huge water changes and a varied diet

robham7770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2014
mobile
Sorry the video was private. but it should be viewable now.I would appreciate any feed back from any dovii owners, regarding what they would have done differently.

robham7770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2014
mobile
nice dovii , theres nothing really to it, no tank mates unless its a female it will get huge water changes and a varied diet
No tank mates planned, I mainly feed Hikari with some crickets,earthworms, and peas in the mix. I have just been a little concerned since a member here posted about his dovii dying due to self inflicted head injuries. I hope that is not common, but I started thinking about the scrapes I see from time to time.He is getting more attitude by the day, which is cool, but I want him healthy.

robham7770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2014
mobile
avoid sharp objects in the tank
The only sharp object is that piece of rock holding down the driftwood in the right corner. I am going to remove that tomorrow, since that damn piece wood will never sink! Idk what it is, but if I ever build a boat it will be made out of that.

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
No tank mates planned, I mainly feed Hikari with some crickets,earthworms, and peas in the mix. I have just been a little concerned since a member here posted about his dovii dying due to self inflicted head injuries. I hope that is not common, but I started thinking about the scrapes I see from time to time.He is getting more attitude by the day, which is cool, but I want him healthy.
ye my guy bangs the top of the tank all the time but nothing too serious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store