Cichlid ID please

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
Not sure what kind of cichlid this is. Since taking photos at this particularly lfs is prohibited, i kinda broke the rules so bear with my pics but please try to help me ID this guy.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
It's got blotches of black in its stomach area and near its tail. Yeah it's far from a chromide but got some similarities to a damba i guess?

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
image.jpg
I brighten this pic if u can get anything out of it. Maybe the coloration could help. For roughly $4 it's quite attractive and big enough at around 4.5" but I don't wanna get myself into any trouble knowing the behavior of cichlids in general without first identifying it.

image.jpg

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
It's got blotches of black in its stomach area and near its tail. Yeah it's far from a chromide but got some similarities to a damba i guess?

+1 for hybridherp response. I agree with Chris

The Paretropline genus (aka Damba) are classified from vulnerable to threatened to endangered and originally from Madagascar. The body type and colors of the fish in your pic isn't consistent with members of the Paretroplus family.

The only Asian Cichlids potentially available in the US are Etroplines (aka chromides): Etroplus canarensis, Etroplus maculatus and Etroplus suratensis.

I'm not sure where you're located...
There is one other Asian cichlid, Iranocichla hormuzensis, which is critically endangered, and has not been available in the US for a really long time. This fish is definitely not Iranocichla hormuzensis.

None of the above fish should be available for $4 at 4.5 inches. Also remember, when a cichlid is stressed, ill or not in a proper environment they can show coloration that's inconsistent.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I'm thinking they meant the fish was imported from Asia. I can tell very little from your pics but I'm willing to bet its a flowerhorn of some sort.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here are 2 of the Asian cichids
Etroplus canarensus

and Etroplus suratensus

there is also Etroplus maculatus
Many consider Madagascans as Asian, as do I
Paretroplus menerambo

Paretroplus maculatus

Paretroplus kieneri

young P dambabe in the foreground

and P nourisatti

there are a bunch more

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
I'm here in the philippines. Thanks for the input guys. I think it looks like a pearsei when i googled pics. Is that price just right for a pearsei?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store