Sand+Stingray

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
Hey Guys I have a quick question. I have some Motoro Rays 5-6". They have been living in a bare bottom tank their whole life. I just upgraded my tank to a 180 gal and put sand in there. I put the rays in the tank 2 days ago. When will they adjust to the sand? What is a rays normal behavior for a change like this (its been 2 days):nilly:

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
What are they doing different that has you concerned? I find rays in bare bottom tanks usually don't bury them selves in the sand really. But other than that they might have to get use to flicking it off if it's really fine sand.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
Im not really concerned and I just got them. The pet store said they have been in bare bottom all their life so I just want to know what is normal behavior for a transition like this.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have found that even rays that have never seen sand before will start blowing the sand within hours of being shown it

But

I also find pearls and motoro like to hide in it more with just the eyes showing
I have pearls and motoro kept with different types of black ray and at water change time it would only be the pearls or the motoro that will cover themselves

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
It seems the male has adjusted quicker than the female. The female does what you said, hides under the sand with only the eyes showing. Is this normal behavior?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Is this your 180 gallon tank with 8 big cichlids? You'll need to step up your water change regimen to keep up with their ammonia production. Also, they get 30"+ disc not counting tail so be prepared for an upgrade in the near future. They're amazing creatures, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
It seems the male has adjusted quicker than the female. The female does what you said, hides under the sand with only the eyes showing. Is this normal behavior?
Totally normal

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I think each ray is different

But what I have found in the past is male rays always seem to settle in faster than females I don't know why this is

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store