Stingray's tank

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
Hello!
I'm in my way to set up a stingray tank for the first time and I would like some help from you, please. My idea is to keep 3 henlei in a tank measuring: 8' x 4' x 2,5'. Is that enough space for them?
Another question: how many GPH show a pump go for that setup?
Thank's in advance!
Regards;

Alexandre

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
That's is plenty of space for three they will like it allot. Think about a pump that is rated at about 5000gph at 0 head.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I would go with two pumps if you are doing a sump one pumping to each end of the tank the longest head height should be rated a bit more than the shorter head height

I like to pump about 10 the tank volume per hour that way you won't need power heads to move flat spots

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zooaqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Brazil
I see! Thank's for helping!
Pumping 10 x the tank volume is important to make water move, or to make a good biologic filtration? It makes me think that, running that flow rate to a filter would be to much , am I wrong?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
You will get into an age old debate there. Most people say x10 per hour turn over and others say half that as it allows more contact time for the water to go through the sump media. It is true that x10 will probably mean no dead spots but it will also call for drain lines and sump that can handle the turn over. I turn a 600 UK gallon volume about 4 to 5 times an hour and take care of any potential dead spots with 2 big power heads that are extremely cheap on electricity compared to the cost of running 2 big electric gusling return pumps.
I see! Thank's for helping!
Pumping 10 x the tank volume is important to make water move, or to make a good biologic filtration? It makes me think that, running that flow rate to a filter would be to much , am I wrong?

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I run 10x through my tank and mechanical filtration but have a secondary pump running my biofilter separately at a much lower gph

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
You will get into an age old debate there. Most people say x10 per hour turn over and others say half that as it allows more contact time for the water to go through the sump media. It is true that x10 will probably mean no dead spots but it will also call for drain lines and sump that can handle the turn over. I turn a 600 UK gallon volume about 4 to 5 times an hour and take care of any potential dead spots with 2 big power heads that are extremely cheap on electricity compared to the cost of running 2 big electric gusling return pumps.
I uped my flow rate over time as the rays grew

I started at 20,000 lph without head so probably only about 12,000
I'm now up to 66,000 lph without head

1 x 30,000 lph pump running the furthest 2 returns

2 x 18,000 lph pumps one of which runs my uvs which slows it down a fair bit

I have no lumps of ray poop left on the floor

But pumps kill electric

30,000 650w
18,000 280w

We all like to run our tanks our own way what works for one person may not work for another

Just make return and drain pipes bigger than you think needed it will then give you options

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store