Matching overflows to pump questions

Fiitchy717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2014
Wv
Hello, first post here, but ive been lurking for quite some time and i might add this place has it all. Tons of info!
Im about to pull the trigger on my tank project and want to make sure im correct before i go ordering things online.
Ive decided on a 96x24x24 tank.

My question is this. Its a 280 gallon tank, so turnover should be roughly 4-5 times that. For arguments sake, lets say 4x turnover, that = 1120gph.
With that in mind, i would assume a 1.5 overflow, would be sufficient, as the flow rate for 1.5 pvc = 1350 gph.
I plan on having the tank drilled for two, in the event one should fail. Would anyone disagree with that logic?

the pump i have picked out is a danner 18 with a flow rate of 1050 gph with a head of 7ft.
i realize that the pump rating is slightly less than the suggested turnover of 1120, but do you think id be ok?or should i still increase pump size to keep up with the overflows?

thanks for any input!

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

With the herbie style overflow, you open/close the gate valve to get the exact rate of drainage to equal the rate of pumpage...like my diction? :) Herbie overflow is also very quiet. As for the pump size/overflow size, that's kinda tricky. You say "flow rate for 1.5 pvc - 1350 gph". Is that turbulent flow, or laminar flow. Laminar flow is what you'll have through that pipe with a Herbie. Laminar flow is much more efficient than turbulent flow. With a Herbie, you want the backup drain, which will experience turbulent flow at least for a while in the case of stoppage of the primary drain, to be able to handle the output of the pump in case the main, gated valve clogs.

So, you have two drains in your tank, one of them can handle the full flow of your pump, do a Herbie....

Fiitchy717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2014
Wv
Im not totally sold on the herbie, as i dont really want the weir box inside the tank. I see the advantages but i dunno... I guess i want a more "set it and forget it" type of set up, as the author clearly states, the herbie is not. Lol. The silent operation is definitely appealing though

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I think that pump is way too small. Once you factor in head loss, loss of flow from T's on the return, it won't be enough.

Fiitchy717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2014
Wv
I plan on using this, as the company thats building my tank, will also drill my tank specifically for these, is this just a gimmick?

Anyone have any experience with it?
at any rate, itll be a relatively straight shot from the bulkhead down to my wet/dry sump, so no tees. Only the elbow at the bulkhead. As for the pump, the only fittings will be two elbows, maybe
a spray bar. And roughly 5ft of tubing.
I think i may have been a little unclear on the capabilities of the pump. Its rated at 1800 gph at zero head, and 1050 gph, at 7ft of head

i do however feel like thats cutting it close... Should i go ahead and get the largest in the line, the danner mag drive 24? Its rated at 2400 gph at zero head

thanks for the replies!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
That drain looks like it will work. My only concern is that it will only skim the surface.

Ive drilled tanks and put the bulkheads in the center of the back glass with a standpipe. If I had to do it all over again, I would put the bulkhead in the center and place my "stand pipe" outside the glass. Not sure what the flowrates would be but I would oversize the pumbing outside the tank. This way it would draw water lower in the water column.

Heres a crude sketchuploadfromtaptalk1410369582985.jpg

As for the pump, when in doubt go bigger, you can always tee off thr return and loop some of the flow back to the sump

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fiitchy717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2014
Wv
Im trying to shy away from having a siphon if i can keep from it... As thats just an added element that could fail and i wind up with a flood.
Is there any particular advantage to having an overflow that u have to siphon to get started?
Am i reading your drawing correctly?
This is my first large tank and its a bit of a learning curve for me.. Please be patient with me. Lol

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
There is no siphon. Theres a vent at the top. (You could make the vent a foot higher than where it turns down if it helps you sleep at night) The pvc determines the water level of the display tank. Whatever height the pipe is, thats how high the water goes before it overflows down. I havent tested this personally so I dont know how audible it is. im going to convert my 40 tall to this design which has a bulkhead dead center in the back of the tank. For the exterior drain pipe om gonna use 2" pvc with my 1.25 bulkhead so it can purge air easily

There's nothing wrong with the design you posted aside from its purely a surface skimmer. I have a tank with a similar set up. It doesn't pick up any debris and the return comes into the tank near the same altitude in the tank. Basically without pkwerheads the tabk is one giant deadzone for flow aside from the top 3" of the water column.

The design I posted overcomes this concern and has mininal plumbing in tank. Another way around this problem is a chambered overflow box like aqueons mega flow design, but like you said you dont want a big box In the tank.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fiitchy717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2014
Wv
Is there anywhere i can see this in action? It seems like a good idea, as it would help get debris from lower in the tank. Has anyone tried this installing the bulkead even closer to the bottom? My current set up has zero water flow and all the fish and turtle poo collects on my substrate. Vacuuming AT LEAST once a week is NECESSARY. Id like to avoid that with the new tank

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Though I can see the point of having the suction in mid depth, as far as picking up suspended particulate. The air water interface is where most invisible undesirable waste products such as proteins build up (and can become visible as a film or scum), so having them skimmed off to not hinder gas exchange, and to be processed by the filter is much more important to me.
I always have overflows skim the surface, though I have never an H2O brand. I simply have an upturned PVC elbow, or a $2 screen cap attached to the bulkhead.

And I find 1.5" PVC to be a good size in most flow applications.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store