Hole in goldfish wen.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
My goldfish has been suffering from some type of hole in the head. I thought it may be from bacterial infection, so I've treated him with tetra fungus guard(nitrofurazine furazoldone, potassium dichromate) a fungus and bacteria med. This is the end of second treatment. It seems to have gotten worse. Am I treating him properly? Do I need a different type of med? Is this goldfish head rot? Any help would be great, had this guy 3 years and don't want to lose him. Thanks.ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1410303832.329409.jpg
The hole is white with a red sore deep inside crevice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
Look up hexamita. Also known as hole in the head disease. It is much more severe in goldfish than in other types of fish. I had it once and despite my best efforts I eventually lost the fish. There is medication for it. I remember it being linked to the usage of carbon in the fish tank. You might want to medicate for that and see if the redness goes away. That will let you know if the medication is working. It will be something like Prazi an anti protozoan medication. If that doesn't get you anywhere try kokosgoldfish.com. They are goldfish only goldfish and have some VERY smart people there. I would also try a broad spectrum antibiotic like Maricyn1 (erythromycin). There is bound to be a secondary infection going on.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/hexamita.aspx

Best of luck,

Glenn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store