ge silicone 2

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
i have been giving myself a panic attack because I have been working on a tank build which is now finished(!) and I just stumbled on a post saying that even if ge silicone 2 says 100% silicone its no good to use because it has additives. I had always heard in the past that silicone 2 was safe as long as it was 100% silicone but googling this issue is not helping. I realize that it says not aquarium safe. it's my belief that is due to the company covering their end over liabilities, since there can be massive home destroying projects, dead expensive fish, etc. I think I used silicone 2 on a 20 g I put together from scraps a while ago and haven't had any noticeable issues and ive been keeping wild caught plecos and shrimp in it (which I figure would be affected), but maybe I just haven't noticed. what are everyone's thoughts on GE silicone 2?

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
It has poisonous mold inhibitor's in it. Don't use it in aquariums. I've used GE I with good success.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
It has poisonous mold inhibitor's in it. Don't use it in aquariums. I've used GE I with good success.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
X2

Stay away from GE silicone II, because of its anti mold/mildew it is bad for fish. Stick to GE silicone I.

If you've got II in there now its better to replace it with I before your tank is filled and stocked.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Check the tube and see if it says anything about mold or mildew inhibitors.

I used the GE 100% silicone II in 2006 to install a background in a 200G aquarium. It is an ammonia cure product rather than acetic acid cure. I didn't have any problem using it after it was fully cured. I did let the silicone cure for 2 weeks before the tank saw water and then cycled the tank for 6 weeks before the addition of fish. I've never had a problem with it, either with the fish or with its holding power as I used it.

Having said all that, I don't know if the current formula is a problem so I will defer to those that may have used it more recently.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg

I used the GE 100% silicone II in 2006 to install a background in a 200G aquarium. It is an ammonia cure product rather than acetic acid cure. I didn't have any problem using it after it was fully cured. I did let the silicone cure for 2 weeks before the tank saw water and then cycled the tank for 6 weeks before the addition of fish. I've never had a problem with it, either with the fish or with its holding power as I used it.

Having said all that, I don't know if the current formula is a problem so I will defer to those that may have used it more recently.
That's more in line with what I had thought, not to say anyone saying it is for sure bad is wrong but I remember looking for it and having 2 options, one with mold inhibitors one without. Unfortunately I through out the tube but I think I bought 2 so hopefully I can track down the other tube.
If it is no good, what would be my best course of action. I don't want to scrap at the tank with a razor blade or anything because I don't want to mess with the epoxy/water seal. I could just silicone real good around the edges to seal in the bad silicone right? I'm not worried about looks, the edges are all hidden(plywood tank) so I could go ham a bit.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
It was GE silicone 2 window and door. I've been reading more on it and nothing says mold inhibiting etc. I think I'm OK. I'm sure that's what I had from the look of the tube.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
That's more in line with what I had thought, not to say anyone saying it is for sure bad is wrong but I remember looking for it and having 2 options, one with mold inhibitors one without. Unfortunately I through out the tube but I think I bought 2 so hopefully I can track down the other tube.
If it is no good, what would be my best course of action. I don't want to scrap at the tank with a razor blade or anything because I don't want to mess with the epoxy/water seal. I could just silicone real good around the edges to seal in the bad silicone right? I'm not worried about looks, the edges are all hidden(plywood tank) so I could go ham a bit.
Hello; I have had spotty luck gettng new silicone to adhear to older cured silicone. I usually cut out the cured and do it all over again. Some have reported success after scrubbing the old well, perhaps they will add their methods.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH

This! You will be fine as long as you let it fully cure. There are better silicones that are designed for the structural side of the equation, but as far as toxicity as long as you let it fully cure it will not kill your fish.

Do not try to silicone over the top of cured or partially cured silicone, it won't work. You would have to remove all of the old, which in my opinion would be a total waste of your time because you don't have a problem in the first place.

ogofdnb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
toronto
I've sealed a few large tanks and use a product called scs1200. It's what most custom tanks are made with due to it being the strongest non toxic product on the market. It can be purchased online or through a construction supplier.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
As a couple others have said, GE I or II isn't very good for holding a tank together. RTV 103 or 108 are both very good.

That said, if you are going to stick with what you have, assuming you give it a long enough cure time, not a few days but a couple weeks you will be fine. Silicone is inert once dried.

Do not just put more on top of the old stuff, it will not stick well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store