What should be my staple?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
So I live in the east coast and fall is coming. Meaning seafood tends to become more expensive and i need to stock up. What is a good staple i should be feeding my motoro Rays? I have pellets but they dont touch them so i tend to put them in silversides and w.e i can stuff them in. But As a novice stingray owner, what is a good cheap staple? I am currently more worried about their weight management rather than their overall nutrional health right now... do anyone have any suggestions on what i can use as a staple? My rays seem to have trouble with Frozen Market shrimp. they chew it but they spit it out afterwards, i believe it is too tough for them.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I go fishing alot so i have alot of bluefish fillets that i probably wont eat. is it alright i feed them the bluefish fillets as well?

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
I have diced up every kind of fish I eat for my stingrays with no problem. Not a steady diet though. How's that girl doing for you?

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
shes doing good, she is still the only truely pellet trained. but she still prefers the frozen food. I was wondering what is your filtration like?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I use to feed tilapia as my staple. Now I actually feed pellets as my main food. Pellet training takes patients and effort. Try tilapia is cheap and not bad

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Use your filets, I catch fish from my Lake and use that these days. Just freeze them first and cut the stomach and its contents out first then chop into pieces.

If they're big fish use filets

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
I have a 50 gallon sump on my 300 gal.run by a little giant 2000 gal per hr pond pump. I use poly fill, pond pads and scrubbies in my sump.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Shrimp, tilapia, and silversides are a pretty well rounded diet until pellets come into the equation.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I bought some krill from shark aquarium. never buying from them again... Not shark's fault but the brand they carry is just horrible... it is messy, clouds the water, and falls apart. As for the Shrimp or silversides, do you have a specific place you go to buy that? i have still a ton of frozen shrimp from god knows when my parents bought it.. says exp date was '08 lol... but its never been taken out of the freezer so im going to assume Its still ok for the rays... especially since they are still alive after all this time. it could explain the toughness though. But what about the silversides? is there somewhere i can buy in bulk?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Which brand of krill was that so I'll know not to bother with it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store