From discus to Southeast Asia: Plants suggestions?

FishBR

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2014
New Orleans
Hi everyone,

My first post here. I kept a group of wild Cuipeua discus for a few years and was able to breed them. My youtube channel has some videos about that wonderful experience:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DiscosBR/videos

I then moved to a small house, got busy at work, and gave up discus-keeping for a while. I am now cycling a 47g tank, which I want to establish as a low-tech Southeast Asia tank (low-light, no CO2 and pool filter sand substrate). I am planning to have 10 harlequin rasboras, 7 celestial pearl danios, 3 panda garras, 3 Siamese algae eaters , 2 pearl gouramis and 2 honey dwarf gouramis (comments and suggestions about the fish are welcome). I hope that is not a lot of fish for a 47g. I also want to have plants from Southeast Asia, including floating plants, and I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thank you in advance,

Mauro

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Hey Mauro - I'm a member on Simply too & I just wanted to let you know that was one helluva group of wild Cuipeua you had. They are my favorite wilds after Alenquers.

Sorry I won't be of much help with Asian plant ideas, but I've got one suggestion on stock. How about some wild type or even domestic bettas? There is a huge selection on Aquabid & I think some of the wild types would compliment your tank especially well.

FishBR

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2014
New Orleans
Thank you for the compliments about my Cuipeuas. I had a wonderful time with them. You suggestion of bettas is a great one. I would love to include a wild one, but I was afraid that other fish, such as the Siamese algae eaters, would harass them. I would love to know if I can keep them in this setup and if it possible to have a wild betta pair in such a small tank (47g).

Hey Mauro - I'm a member on Simply too & I just wanted to let you know that was one helluva group of wild Cuipeua you had. They are my favorite wilds after Alenquers.

Sorry I won't be of much help with Asian plant ideas, but I've got one suggestion on stock. How about some wild type or even domestic bettas? There is a huge selection on Aquabid & I think some of the wild types would compliment your tank especially well.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Tank size is fine. The SAEs are more of a question mark though. They'll be fine when young, but as they age they get lazy and tend to go more for fish food than algae and can become more aggressive. Honestly, I'd leave them out of the setup, they don't bring alot to the table, no color at all & they only clean algae when young.

I'd much rather fill up my available space with wild bettas, some type of badisor any other anabantids or barbs that caught my eye. Great selection on Aquabid if you've never checked it out before - some stuff I've never seen before. Peppermint Pikehead?? Crazy looking!

FishBR

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2014
New Orleans
I am going to give up the SAEs. Peppermint Pikehead seems to be agressive and quite sensitive to water quality. It sees you cannot keep them with smaller fish like harlequin rasboras. If I get wild bettas (the imbellis looks fantastic), should I get a pair? One male two males?

If anyone can recommend low-light and low-maintenance plants from Southeast Asia, please let me know.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
You could do solo betta or pairs. Personally I would do the pair, maybe try a m/2f trio, but I'm not sure how well the non-paired female will make out. Not alot of folks in the US breeding wild bettas and there is demand. You could probably sell a few fry if you're comfortable shipping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store