Heating a fish room

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Looking for some advice. The fiance and I are going to be moving out of my apartment and too a house soon. The town I am looking at is mostly homes built in 1960/1970s. The couple house I am considering have unfinished basements that I would convert to a fish room. I would have to insult the room, run plumbing and some more outlets etc which is not an issue (and I will post more about this when the time comes). The question I have concerns heating. I can heat the basement no problem off the furnace but I will not be able to have its own thermostat which would be an issue. I want to for the most part heat the room and avoid heaters. My contractor buddy is looking into a few ideas to heat the room efficiently and safely on its own separate from the main furnace. I thought I would reach out here and see if there is anything I should suggest he look into.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Once you've insulated the basement,along with the furnace,perhaps that might be enough to keep it warm enough for your tanks.My basement drops to low seventies in the winter and my house is older than those that you are looking into.I still run individual aquarium heaters during that time of course.I'm interested in seeing what your contractor friends come up with for options.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Use one of those infrared heaters you can buy at the hardware store. I have one in the fish room and it doesn't really run all that much. Keeps the room toasty at 83*.

And extra insulation will make it even cheaper and easier.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have been thinking of something to use that would not draw any more electricity than I'm already using and I have considered setting up a small wood burning or even a pellet stove.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Once you've insulated the basement,along with the furnace,perhaps that might be enough to keep it warm enough for your tanks.My basement drops to low seventies in the winter and my house is older than those that you are looking into.I still run individual aquarium heaters during that time of course.I'm interested in seeing what your contractor friends come up with for options.
Thanks for the idea. I thought of that but i need the room to be about 80. To stay this warm I think I will need extra help.

Use one of those infrared heaters you can buy at the hardware store. I have one in the fish room and it doesn't really run all that much. Keeps the room toasty at 83*.

And extra insulation will make it even cheaper and easier.
Thanks Bobby I will look into this. Are they relatively safe to have plugged in all the time?

Weren't you planning on running large central systems?
Initially I was. I will run the 250gallon tanks and maybe a few others on a system, and I want to get one large tank that will be on a sump, but the rest will be larger tanks run on air for the most part.

I have been thinking of something to use that would not draw any more electricity than I'm already using and I have considered setting up a small wood burning or even a pellet stove.
Be honest a little too risky for me

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Pellet stoves are great & put out a lot of heat. You could also look at adding a propane heater. I can't remember the exact name of it, but my grandfather used one to heat his greenhouse in the winter. The front of it looks similar to a window unit AC. Mounts on the wall and you can bury the propane tank outside so you don't have the eyesore.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Yes they are safe. They are rated to be used in the home, so you should be fine. Mine stays plugged in all winter. Haven't needed it at all this summer.

My issue with a wood burner or a pellet stove is regulating the heat. they get super hot. You would have to burn it outside and pipe in the heat with some sort of exchanger. I grew up with a wood burner in the house. It was either freezing cold or melt your face off hot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store