Shark Tank Project

MarineKiing

Feeder Fish
Sep 10, 2014
JHB South Africa
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here and this seems like the right place to start.

I'm undergoing a project to create a cat shark aquarium. I'm fairly new to the marine world and am looking for as much advise and info as possible on how to make this project a success. I'm not rushing anything as this is going to cost a fortune in the end so want to get it right. I also have a hell of a lot to learn regarding this hobby but have the time to get educated as this project will be estimated at taking 6 months to a year before the pumps are even turned on.

So as it strands...

I have got a tank that is as follows:

3.2m / 10.5 ft long
85cm / 3 ft wide
70cm / 2.2 ft high

Holding 1904L / 502 gal.

The sump size is about 2m (6ft) x 50cm (1.6ft) x 50cm (1.6ft)

I still need the water, skimmers and so on and so on.

Any advise regarding this project will be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MK

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Sharks?
you're going to need a bigger tank.
Check out the saltwater forum here. Lots of guys keeping sharks.

Rich

PS: welcome to the hobby ....

MarineKiing

Feeder Fish
Sep 10, 2014
JHB South Africa
Hi Rich,

Thanks will have a look there, from the various info that I've picked up the tank should be big enough to hold a white spotted bamboo shark?
I believe that they get to about 3 feet, do you still recon the tank would be too small for it?

Thanks for the welcome :D

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Sorry when I hear sharks and fresh water I think of those catfish sharks they sell.
When I hear salt water and sharks I think of white tip or black tip.

Remember you should get a rounded end tank so the shark can circle, not bump it's nose turning and a little wider then 3 foot if the shark gets to 2 foot.

There is a restruant in up state new york called "neptune" and they have 6 sharks 3 to a tank and it's cool for about 2 minutes until you relize that they are nose crashing everytime they go to turn, to bid for the tank and along with the to big they are over stocked with 3 sharks to each tank.
I think they were nurse sharks. about 2 1/2 foot long.
Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store