Is this aquarium stand no good?

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
I picked up this used stand for my 180g tank off CL and I finally got the tank on the stand last night, and I'm seeing gaps between the tank and stand on the front corners, and a slight space along both sides of the tank. Is this stand going to cause my tank to fail? I really hope I did not just throw away the money I paid for this. Is there anything that can be done to make it safe if it is not? One pic is of the front left, you can see the space I am talking about on the left corner, and the other pic it's somewhat hard to see but you can see a line of "light" between the two. Thanks for any advice.

IMG_20140909_191906936.jpg

IMG_20140909_192243886.jpg

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
It looks like a nice stand made of wood not partical board... Those spaces will go away with the weight of the water I bet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
I figured they likely would go away with the water weight. I just want to make sure the settling won't stress the tank seems before I fill this thing because I live alone and it's not easy for me to find help moving this. Last thing I need is to come home from work to a leaky tank one day. It's supposed to be Mahogany. That left ledge appears to be slightly warped downward when looking from the side.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Nice looking stand, I wouldn't worry too much unless the tank is brand new the plastic trim is probably banged up and slightly uneven, thus the gaps you're seeing. If it bothers you for piece of mind you can get some of that 1/2" foam sheeting to place between the tank and stand to fill in the gaps like they use for acrylic tanks.

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
The tank is actually brand new. I wanted a new one so I know the seals are fresh and the tank will be good for years to come. This is my first larger sized tank so I will likely be keeping it running for a long time, provided the overall weight doesn't sag my living room floor too much over time. I did put some 4"x6"x8' support beams under the floor joists in my crawl space, its just not a professional job but I think it'll do. I have been planning this for months now and I am finally close. (I'll be adding a blackout curtain/shade to the window behind the tank)

tank.jpg

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
No need for the layer of foam. It's pointless for a plastic trimmed tank. In fact, it may void your warranty if you do.

Stand looks fine. There will always be a bit of variation in wood products.

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
Thanks guys. I just wanted to be sure before I filled it up. Would be much easier to just take care of the issue now rather then later.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
That stand will be fine. No need to worry about that. Just make sure tank is level. Use a real level not one of those little 12" homeowner specials

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store