Stingray torn fins

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
HELP! I have a 180 gallon fish tank. I recently bought 2 motor rays which are my first rays. They have been in the tank and they were doing great. This morning I realized one had cuts on his outer disk. What is this from? How can I stop it?. My tank is completely sand with a couple of round rocks. The fish are Payara, Arowana, Largemouth Bass, Indo Pacific Tarpon, Pictus cat, and the 2 new rays (all 5-7").

seanxwarp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
San Diego and Philippines
Your rays are being attacked by your fish. You can stop them by letting the rays live in a separate tank for the first few weeks and putting them back in the tank hoping none would be aggressive

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
I don't think thats right but, it could be. I did think of that at first but, I watched my fish for a while in hiding and I saw no aggression at all. If there is a mean fish I am happy to take it out. Which do you think it is? Im guessing Bass or Payara.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
That's an awful lot of large growing fish for a 180 but I wouldn't expect any of those to attack rays. Can you post pics of the cuts?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
They appear to be marble motoros. A little hard to tell from the pics but are you talking about the redness on the edge of the disc?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Could be ammonia burn. They produce tons and you're already heavily stocked. Does it look like redness, or actually tears/cuts?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store