Final sump design

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
Okay so 120 tank with 29 sump. Aiming for 4-5 turnover. tank is 2' tall and stand is 2' tall. 2x 1" pvc overflow with the intake 2" from surface. RIO plus 2500 (782 GPH). Sump filled with K1 media. Is my design fine?

Untitled.png

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
What are the dimensions of your sump? With a 2 ft tall stand your sump would have to be pretty low for you to have enough clearance to do maintenance. I have a 120g wide with a 20g sump (made out of a 20g tall, 16 inches height) under my 29 in tall 2x4 stand. I have just enough clearance to do maintenance. My design is a lot different, more like your standard style wet/dry system you could get with Amiracle or E-Shoppes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
What are the dimensions of your sump? With a 2 ft tall stand your sump would have to be pretty low for you to have enough clearance to do maintenance. I have a 120g wide with a 20g sump (made out of a 20g tall, 16 inches height) under my 29 in tall 2x4 stand. I have just enough clearance to do maintenance. My design is a lot different, more like your standard style wet/dry system you could get with Amiracle or E-Shoppes.

My sump is 18" tall.

I'm trying to mimick this design minus the drip plate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVDfmZIuEm0

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I'm not familiar with that type of sump design. I went with a much simpler style.uploadfromtaptalk1410417611609.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410417638748.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410417665945.jpg

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Okay so 120 tank with 29 sump. Aiming for 4-5 turnover. tank is 2' tall and stand is 2' tall. 2x 1" pvc overflow with the intake 2" from surface. RIO plus 2500 (782 GPH). Sump filled with K1 media. Is my design fine?
The K1 will not move without baffles. It looks like all you had was a flow through style egg crating separating k1 from the pump all the k1 will do is bunch up right against that plate.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Not true. You just put the air pump right next to the egg crate on the left of it and it will turn the k1 over. My advice would be to add another egg crate piece to the left of it to contain it better and make the media tumble better. But the flow from the pump will always pull the media left to right then the air pump will push it back left at the top creating the tumble rotation for the media. Will all reactors it's a setup and fine tune and adjust till you find what works well.
My advice on the the egg crate next to the pump would be to zip tie a piece of plastic or whatever with no or small holes to the middle of the egg crate(so if your egg crate is 15 inches wide add a piece that is 10-12 wide) all the way up to the top and all the way to the bottom same height as the egg crate this will block the air pump from having the bubbles just go down flow through the egg crate and make them boil up and back flow to push the media better. If you have any questions let me know happy to help.

The K1 will not move without baffles. It looks like all you had was a flow through style egg crating separating k1 from the pump all the k1 will do is bunch up right against that plate.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Am I the only one that knows K1 goes right through egg grate?

I'd build a separate reactor and run that at low turnover, run a bigger pump and higher turnover through the sump. Not a fan of K1 in a sump as my turnover would push it all up against the screen (10-20X turnover).

Nothing "wrong" with the design (aside from you'll need a screen over the egg grate) so to speak, just some of us do things (like flow rates) different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store