Marine Bio Class Help!!

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Hey guys long time since I've been on... Really miss it but after high school I'll be back in full gear lots of projects I have for the future.

Working on a marine bio essay and need some help regarding which topic will have more information that I can write about. Has to be 500 words.

1. Fishermen in the Mediterranean Sea have come under fire for “Fishing down the food web”. Write an article giving some background on what this phrase means, and potential effects/problems on the local fisheries and food supply if the practice continues.

2. You are studying a marine ecosystem located along the Pacific coast of North America. Sea otters once thrived in this region, but over trapping and poaching especially during the 19th century caused their numbers to decline rapidly. Although sea otter numbers have recovered somewhat, they are still at risk. Write an article providing some background on Sea Otter decline, then describe the importance of Sea Otters at the top of the food chain and how their removal affects the ocean ecosystem.

3. You are tasked with writing an informative article on the introduction of the invasive Lamprey into the Great Lakes as an example of food chain disruption. In your article, provide background information on how the lampreys entered the lakes, then go into some of the effects they had on the local life in the lake.

Leaning for the otter one or lamprey one. Good idea?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I would go with number two. I remember something alone the lines that otter poaching reduced the number of otters obviously. With less otters the sea urchin population (the otters' prey) the urchin population explodes. With a ton of urchins they eat all of the kelp, practically decimating the kelp forest and changing the ecosystem in that area. Wait did I just basically write the essay.....lol jk

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
I would go with number two. I remember something alone the lines that otter poaching reduced the number of otters obviously. With less otters the sea urchin population (the otters' prey) the urchin population explodes. With a ton of urchins they eat all of the kelp, practically decimating the kelp forest and changing the ecosystem in that area. Wait did I just basically write the essay.....lol jk
Hhahah I wish.... Got to get started on this it's due tomorrow, thanks for the help! Otters it is!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store