Feeding cooked snail meat

Natural Born Chaos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Canada, Alberta
While doing my monthly shopping for food for my fish I came across frozen apple snails, I was really excited when I found them because I've never seen them for sale before. It wasn't until tonight when I was cutting everything up and bagging it I noticed that it said "cooked," so I'm not sure if I could feed it to them, I don't think that it would harm them, but I would like to confirm, they aren't seasoned, it doesn't say how they're cooked. Well, actually it might, but I can't read Chinese. >.> But for ingredients, it just says "apple snail." I checked online, but was unable to find anything regarding it.

Does anyone know if it would be safe to feed? It probably doesn't matter but it would be given to catfish, cichlids, knife fish, swamp eels, spiny eels, tulip eels, bichirs, gars and gobies.

Thanks in advance.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
you could always soak them a few times to make sure they aren't seasoned, or if they are meant for human consumption simply try one yourself.

Natural Born Chaos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Canada, Alberta
I'll soak them, I don't think I'd be able to eat them, owning fish and other aquatic critters has turned me away from eating anything that lives in water, the idea of it just makes me sick now. But if they were seasoned, I'm pretty sure legally, they would need to put that in the ingredients. I just wasn't sure if the cooked aspect would be good for them, since they don't exactly eat anything cooked in the wild. Lol

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Chances are, they were steamed or boiled with nothing else added to maximize profits. However, since its a China based product, you kinda have to be wary about what they don't disclose. If this is something that's just a treat every once in awhile, I feel it would probably be safe. Heard of a guy who regularly feed his large predatory fish roast beef from the deli. Those deli meats are loaded with all kinds of crap to preserve it.

Natural Born Chaos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Canada, Alberta
It would actually be something I feed on a regular basis, normally once every second day. But I won't be feeding my big guys for three days since they had a bunch of live platies yesterday, and they're all very fat. Usually every month I go to an Asian market and buy a bunch of frozen and fresh food for my fish, which include a few different small to medium sized fish, a couple types shrimp, mussels, clams, oysters, krill, and salmon eggs (for the ropefish primarily), every other month I get crab and lobster. Normally Asian markets are the only place I can buy these foods, what I can find in aquarium stores are very expensive, now the only foods I buy there are brine shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and plankton. I used to spent around $150 on frozen and fresh foods a month (not including live), some times $200, now I'm only spending about $70-80. Once I get everything I make up 15 bags for each tank (60 in total) and freeze them, that way I can just thaw the contents of them out and feed them, rather than getting all the food out each day, cutting it up and such, it's just less of a hassle. I've already cut up, bagged and froze all of it, for my big guys I did add it into their bags, but I only cut them in half or left them whole, so I could just pick them out, but I only put 2-3 in each bag since I have no idea if they'd even like them. For the African cichlid tank and my grow out tank, I cut them up very fine so they could eat it, I just didn't put mix it with their food, instead I just layered it in a bag so I could break off a piece when I thaw out their other food, if they did get them, it would probably be equal to one for the cichlids, and half of one for the grow out tank, and that would be spread among all of them. And I didn't give any to my axolotls, since they're picky anyway, they might like them, but if they don't, I don't really want to pick them out of the tank.

Also, regarding the roast beef part, that sounds very unhealthy. That was always one thing I wanted to be very careful about, I don't like the idea of feeding anything to my fish that they don't have access to in the wild. Even beef heart, I know it's okay to feed with a bit of moderation, but it seems almost wrong because it is a land animal. That's why I was curious about cooked snails, but as long as it won't hurt them, I'll use it. And I definitely won't be buying it again, unless they're raw. I'm usually much more careful with that sort of thing, I guess I was just so excited that I saw them that I didn't even think to look. :wall:

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
The roastbeef thing could of been the video of a former vendor here feeding his aimara a slice of roastbeef wrapped with a whole mess of massivores inside. I too go to an Asian supermarket every few months to stock up on fishfood & a big bag of pork dumplings for me.lol...I purchased that same cooked snailmeat once for my loaches, plecs & geos..the geos took a few bites but weren't loving it. Loaches & plecs said no thx..i had to net it all out after giving it a try for a few feedings & never tried it again..i expected the loaches & plecs to like the scent when it hit the water & it never happened

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I would expect that the odds of something causing harm to your fish based entirely on the fact that it has been cooked are very low. when you make that cooked item a small part of a well varied diet...
I wouldn't worry about it.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
The though of eating snails is nasty, but if you do it, more power to ya.
don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
garlic butter snails on fungus is delicious.

I made snails at a pizza place I used to work at and got a couple of the guys to try it. they both liked them, and we had a couple down when one guy said "these are pretty good if you don't think about what they are."
I said, "no, you can think about what they are, you just can't think about the fact they leave a trail of slimy mucous where ever they go."
I finished them off myself after that.:drool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store