Rays with arowana?

nasomi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2011
United States
I'm still in the process of building my basement, and as I design walls I'm trying to get a good idea of how big I need to go. I had to scratch my 850g build because my wife wants a pantry. Now with a new wall going up, I was going to build a 200g(7x2x3) into the back wall. I still haven't decided on my stock, but my visit to my LFS over the weekend I saw rays and aro's and thought maybe two aro's and a ray would be nice. I know ray's are picky about water, and with their roaming habits they shouldn't cross paths. But is 200g enough?

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Rays and (single) aro are a good combo, but the tank is not big enough IMO: certainly not for a silver/black arowana or the bigger rays; maybe for smaller (hystrix; magdalenae; reticulatus) rays, but I don´t have experience with them.
And 2 aros in the same tank.... unless they pair it´s a 99% fail

nasomi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2011
United States
Thanks, I was looking at p.hystrix. I figured it would be a pipe dream with a 2' bottom, but looking at them in the LFS gives you crazy ideas sometimes. I thought the smaller aro's with 7' would be fine for a pair, I'd seen them paired before like that. So much for that idea.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I see two problems:
1- In order for them to pair up, you need to start with a few and even though is far far from guaranteed
2-If the tank is only 2´deep... it is a problem

edit: the above comments are based in a 200 g 7x2x2 because I believe you have a typo in your first post.
But now I wonder...is the tank going to be 7x2x3 or 200g (as in 7x2x2)?
7x2x3 should be about 300g if I did the maths right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store