My ray made the getaway attempt!

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Last night when I was going to bed, standing in the kitchen I hear this very loud splash from my tank in the next room.

I look over and my big female ray, about 15", is on the floor flapping around. After a fleeting moment of panic I got a net and bucket. I used the net handle to try and guide her into the bucket. Way too big for that. Go back out into the garage and grab a piece of plywood. Managed to get her about 80% onto the plywood and dump her back in the tank.

All in all probably about 3 minutes out of the tank even though it felt like forever. She was fine & eating this morning.

At first when I looked at her on the floor I just thought there's no way I'm touching her, not gonna happen.

They always look big in the tank, but it's a different kind of big when they're laying on your floor. I only have one space in the back corner that is uncovered so it was pretty shocking. I'm lucky it wasn't 10 minutes later or I would've woken up to a dried out ray!

Anybody else have a ray jump clean out of the tank?

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
That's a good rescue. I can imagine the shock and panic ... But you did well.

Have you not considered a lid or a cover over the tank top?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
That's crazy! Good save! I know mine have definitely sent some water flying out of the tank but never ejected themselves! Btw her little girl is doing quite well, healthy little eateruploadfromtaptalk1410487256145.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Donmedina

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2013
USA
Good Save😥! We can have "mama-ray" go out like that...

Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Thanks everybody. It was a lucky thing it happened when it did. I think I will invest in a proper giant net, even if it never happens again.

The tank was about 85% covered, but it is now 100%.

Good to see the pic of the little one, she looks great!

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Thanx she has adjusted wonderfully another 6 months or so she should be able to join the rest of the group

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store