Hump on back?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Looks a little odd for pregnancy. Did she just eat eat something?

djr83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
Sweden
No she has not eaten much at all today, so last big meal was yesterday (how much she ate yesterday I don't know). I don't know how long she's had the hump either.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Do you see movement? Is there a male in the tank? If it was something wrong such as a tumor that size I would think she would be acting off. Maybe a pup that's not laying flat.

djr83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
Sweden
I haven't seen any movement but I noticed the hump just a few hours ago when I saw her from behind. There are a male pearl in the tank (the one in the background on the pic) so it's possible she's pregnant.

How often do the pups move? I haven't seen any movement during these hours.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
My Marbles get these from time to time...... In my case it's usually after a big meal, sometimes last a few days, sometimes several weeks. I used to get excited thinking they were pregnant till I started seeing the same thing on males. :(

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
This is a very common. What you are seeing here is trapped gasses in the gut, at some point over the next 48 hours or so this gas will be expelled and the body with return to its normal shape. Try changing the diet or perhaps feeding smaller meals.
Do not worry its not a huge problem.

djr83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
Sweden
It's gone now so you were right, it was just food/gases. I would have loved to have some pups but I'm happy it's nothing wrong with her at least :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store