Life inside of filter...

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
SO yesterday, I opened up Katie's Fluval 306 to make a media adjustment and low and behold... Several tiny ghost shrimp. I knew we had egg bearing females in the tank that we had not moved to the hatchery, but did not think the fry could possibly survive in the main tank. well, it seems that the fry got sucked into the filter and not only survived, but seem to be thriving in there. I found six tiny adolescent shrimp. Seems they like the fast flow and constant food supply, as well as total darkness... Who knew...?

Henryng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
singapore - yishun
If the filter is not off the ghost shrimp will be able to survive inside the filter with plenty of food.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I knew. I intentionally added scuds to my sump and tank to help break down larger waste. I try to get blackworms established in my sand tanks, but the cories are just too good at finding them.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive added ghost shrimp to my sumps in the past. They bred in ridiculous conditions without food (other than what they scavenge) or light and they thrive. Ive also pulled healthy pleco fry out of a canister filter before. Now I use prefilter sponges and couldnt imagine a filter without one for many reasons

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Last fall, my 1.5" green Texas one day disappeared and I just figured it got eaten by the larger fish. 5 days later when I took my Odyssea 700cfs canister apart for maintenance, there he was swimming in about an inch of water above the media. Today, he has grown to about 3"+. Quite a survivor

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store